cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my IP Profile too low? Should I be geeting higher speeds?

mhaffy
Dabbler

Is my IP Profile too low? Should I be geeting higher speeds?

Before switching to Plusnet, our speed was "capped" at 2mbps.
The Current Line speed link is indicated at 7.15mbps but" no estimated line speed is recorded as service activated before we introduced estimates".
BT Speedtest DSL Conn rate of 8128kbps downstream, 448kbps upstream with IPProfile for line set at 2000kbps.
Although speedtest  shows me achieving 1.7mbps DL speed, just below IP Profile of 2.0, I wonder if my IP Profile is set too low for my line speeed?
Router indicates DL Attenuation of 20.0 db with 6.3db noise margin and 8128kbps connection speed.
All these nos confuse me somewhat and wondering if IP profile, and hence speed, are too low based on line speed link indiactin 7.15mbps.
Advice appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Is my IP Profile too low? Should I be geeting higher speeds?

Yes there is a problem with the BT IP Profile, it should be 7150kbps for your sync speed. This is a fault condition which might be a hangover from the service you were on before. Your low download speeds will be due to this problem.
You could raise a low speed fault using the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net but if you leave it until tomorrow a member of the Digital Care Team will probably pick up your post and hopefully get the fault cleared.
David
David
mhaffy
Dabbler

Thanks for feedback. Will see what Digital Care Team suggest when they read post.
mhaffy
Dabbler

My immediate neighbour has recently switched to Plusnet and has just run the same tests as me achieving significantly superior download speed despite having lower current line speed:
Current line speed : Me                7.15mbps
                                    Neighbour  6.5mbps
IP Profile:                    Me                2.0mbps
                                    Neighbour  5.5mbps
Download speed:  Me                  1.8mbps
                                    Neighbour  5.0mbps
It certainly seems that my IP profile is set too low and vastly throttling back the speed of service that I am receiving.
Would appreciate someone from Digital Care Team advising on this.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The IP profile for your connection is already set at 7150kbps so I'm going to advise that you raise a fault in this instance: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team