cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth switching router off?

peter10
Grafter

Is it worth switching router off?

I seem to be getting a few disconnections recently - three already today. I hope to get away for a week on Monday amd usually switch the router off when I go. Is it worth switching the router off or should it be left on?
How many disconnections per day is acceptable?
Thanks
Peter
3 REPLIES 3
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Is it worth switching router off?

If it's disconnecting that many times a day I don't see you have anything to lose by turning it off for a week.
I think it's generally agreed that turning it on and off a couple of times in a day will be OK but not on a regular basis.
If your having that many disconnects regularly it will probably end up effecting the connection speed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Peter,
I have often deliberated about the pros and cons of switching the broadband gateway off when I am due to go away on holiday.
Theoretically if you do a software disconnect using the gateway web page, then a power down, remove the power plug, then disconnect the ADSL cable from the wall socket, then that should not affect your line stats.
However, in practice, whenever I have done that and then gone on holiday for maybe a week or more, I ALWAYS come back only to find I have shockingly bad broadband speeds, which eventually recovers back to the full ADSL_Max profile of 7150Kbps after about five days.
The only reason I consider physically disconnecting my gateway while I am away, is that I live out in the countryside where the overhead phone and electricity cables a very prone to lightning strike or storm damage.
When I am at home then it is easy to disconnect everything during bad weather,  but when I am due to going to be away I check the weather forecast and only unplug everything IF there is likely to be storms or lightning.
So unless you are in an exposed area, then my advice would be to leave your gateway connected and switched on.
As for how many disconnections per day is acceptable, I don't know, so I will let somebody else comment on that, but when you get back from your trip,  it would be worth doing the usual fault finding by plugging your gateway into the phone line TEST socket, etc,  to see if you can eliminate the disconnections that you are currently experiencing.
peter10
Grafter

Thanks to you both for your help. Not sure what I will do yet.
Peter