cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible upgrade my Technicolor TG582n Firmware to any New Versions ??

expo

Is it possible upgrade my Technicolor TG582n Firmware to any New Versions ??

Hello Plusnet Forums (Broadband and Routers)
I have read up about certain Routers having certain vulnerabilities I have Technicolor TG582n, standard plusnet router. I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade the Routers Firmware. I understand this can sometimes improve download/upload speeds and improve over all security issues etc, etc.
I would also like to know a way of finding out if my Router has the latest Firmware installed ?
and if has not. where can i download the new firmware from and how do i install it ?
I have looked through the Routers configurations found @ 192.168.1.254 but i am unable to see a way of upgrading the firmware.
I'm assuming the software release is the name of the firmware installed. Which is :
Software Release: 8.4.4.J
is this my Routers latest Firmware, and does this get updated/upgraded automatically, if this is the case,
who sends the update to my router. would that be Technicolour ?
I look forward to any advice.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is it possible upgrade my Technicolor TG582n Firmware to any New Versions ??

The ones supplied by Plusnet do not have that vulnerability
Regarding upgrading the firmware - you would need to do it yourself
This is where to start  http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
expo

Re: Is it possible upgrade my Technicolor TG582n Firmware to any New Versions ??

thank-you for your swift reply Oldjim.
i cannot open the .bin file i have downloaded after clicking on the:
Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n-PS (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B . link.
on my win 8.1 system for some reason .bin file extension has NO default program associated with it (????)
at the moment i cannot fine what the default program to open .bin file ext is.
does any here know how i can rectify this ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You have to download and unzip the Firmware Update Tool (from the page with the firmware files).
Then follow the instructions: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... (they are much the same for the 582n as for the 585v7)
expo

ejs
i have downloaded and extracted the Thomson 585v7/585v8 firmware flashing utility.
Because i Have windows 8.1. I have to Run it in Compatability Mode for (Win 7) to be able to  run the firmware flashing utility.
Is it safe for me to Flash my Technicolor TG582n Routers Firmware using Compatibility Mode ?
I downloaded the firmware file from here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
is this the correct File I need to use to update above routers firmware:
Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n-PS (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B
do not have USB ports on my TG582n-PS router, so im assuming it is the correct file. I as because i want to be 100% sure its correct before i try to flash my router and possibly end up bricking it if not done correctly,
When I download the Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n-PS (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B  file i find its comes with .bin extension and is
7,186 kb in size. unfortunately on my win8.1 system txt.exe is set to open .bin files.
Does the  .bin file need to be extracted before i use it using the flash update utility.
Or can i just point the Thomson 585v7/585v8 firmware flashing utility. to the downloaded .bin file and try to complete the flashing process ?
I wont carry out this until i find out first whether its okay to use the firmware flashing update utility in compatibility mode first.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The Windows 7 upgrade tool may work better: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/Windows%207%20Upgrade%20Tool.zip
You just point the firmware upgrade tool to the .bin file.
I also thought that Plusnet can upgrade the firmware remotely.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The major thing to remember when flashing a router is NOT to do it on a wireless connection - always use an ethernet cable connection to do it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

On a sane router, the firmware file would be uploaded via HTTP, and therefore wired or wireless is completely irrelevant. But technicolor like to make things difficult.