cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use PPPoE on a 'normal' DSL landline?

Eddtheduck

Is it possible to use PPPoE on a 'normal' DSL landline?

Sorry, I suspect this is a very stupid question, but I have found difficulty searching for a definitive answer.
I have recently inherited a D-Link DIR-615 which only seems to accept PPPoE connections. My current Netgear ADSL DG834G allows connections for PPPoA.
Will I be able to connect with the D-Link through my normal phone line connection? Or are PPPoE connections only possible with cable?
Any help would be much appreciated,
Ed
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Is it possible to use PPPoE on a 'normal' DSL landline?

That's a cable router (without a modem) - normal ADSL routers are actually a router and modem all in one box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Eddtheduck' - Welcome to the forum  Cool

The D-Link DIR-615 appears to be a 'cable' router, whereas the Netgear DG834G is a router with built in ADSL modem.
So the answer to your question is NO, you can't connect the D-Link DIR-615 directly to a phone line.
However you could still use the D-Link DIR-615 as your network router, but you will need an ADSL modem plugged into the "INTERNET" port.
Depending on the exact model of Netgear DG834G you have, and which firmware is loaded, you can configure some DG834 modem/routers to behave as just a (PPPoE to PPPoA bridge) ADSL modem.
Therefore you might be able to configure the DG834 as a PPPoE to PPPoA modem, with the ADSL port plugged into your phone line.
You then connect the LAN1 socket (using an ethernet cable) to the "INTERNET" socket of the D-Link DIR-615, and you configure the D-Link DIR-615 with your Plusnet username and password in the PPPoE settings.
If that works you will get a great modem combined with a better router than the ancient Netgear router functionality.
It's worth a go !  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: purleigh
Depending on the exact model of Netgear DG834G you have, and which firmware is loaded, you can configure some DG834 modem/routers to behave as just a (PPPoE to PPPoA bridge) ADSL modem.
Therefore you might be able to configure the DG834 as a PPPoE to PPPoA modem, with the ADSL port plugged into your phone line.

You don't need to convert from PPPoE to PPPoA, PPPoE works fine with a modem-router set in bridge mode feeding a router. Search for "dg834 bridge mode" (without quotes) for lots of links Smiley
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Eddtheduck

Thank you everyone for the replies - really useful  Smiley
I'll play at configuring my netgear to it - Cheers  Smiley