cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set up TG582n to repeat Wifi from another TG582n?

ryanfagan93

Is it possible to set up TG582n to repeat Wifi from another TG582n?

Hello,
I'll explain my problem. I have a TG582n which is connected to the internet as a normal every day wifi router. I have a problem where my desktop PC which is on the other end of the house does not get a good enough signal from the router, less than 1mbps.
I have another TG582n. So I have two idential routers. One connected to the internet, and the other lying dormant in a box.
I have read lots of threads about connecting to other routers via bridges, diabling DHCP etc.. using telnet, all of which ended up me factory resetting and confused me to no end. Can anyone tell me how to use the dormant TG582 as a repeater. I would even be happy connecting the PC via Ethernet to the dormant one if it meant I could get it connected.
Regards,
Ryan
9 REPLIES 9
ratty
Dabbler

Re: Is it possible to set up TG582n to repeat Wifi from another TG582n?

Hi
By some coincidence I was about to post a similar query.  I am thinking of purchasing what I hope to be a better router. However I was wondering if the then spare TG582n could be used as a repeater/bridge/AP to boost the wifi from the new router if it still needed it.
I must admit to getting a bit bogged down with the differences between a repeater, a bridge and an access point - but I basically want to do the same as you seem to want; to boost the routers' wifi signal to black spots in the house using a spare router.
Do the routers need to be the same and how do you set up the Thompson to do such a thing?
Thanks for any advice.
Cathy
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look at (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) in all honesty repeating would give more or less the same results unless you have a router with good aerials lying about your wasting your time.
ryanfagan93

Hi thanks for that link.
Do you know if the TG582n supports DD-WRT?
That states "To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT v24 will be configured as the Repeater Bridge.
Your help is appreciated
30FTTC06
Pro

Not sure on the TG582N being able on DD-WRT, why don't you just go buy a 50meter lead off flea bay and connect both together ?
DHCP disabled on the second router etc. Or buy power line adapters. Fyi i used an old cable router with dd-wrt it worked ok-ish in repeater mode but with a heavy loss of throughput though.
ryanfagan93

Not really a fan of wires running around the house, also it's a stone house and rented, so not really anywhere to hide the wires behind walls etc.. Also I thought that seeing as I have two that's identical and other people in older threads have managed to get a TG585 bridged / repeated  (which i believe is a similar model) then it may be possible.
I have given up for now though after 7 hours at it. I had another crack at this telnet thing by following another thread and that failed. So In a last ditch effort I hope this thread might catch someone who has experience with a set up similar
30FTTC06
Pro

Somebody will know i'm sure, like i said what about these you can then just setup as an ap nice and easy http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O those are expensive though, i think i've seen for about 15 quid.
ryanfagan93

Thank's. I've booked marked those, I will definitely keep those in mind.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

This shows how to configure a wireless distribution system (WDS) on a Technicolor router.
I must warn you though, it gives very poor results slow speeds and packet loss. Not worth the effort IMO.
http://npr.me.uk/wds.html
A better option it to connect a second router via ethernet or a pair of home plugs.
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
Note:
The server for those links is under pressure at present, should be ok later.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not sure if it will help but see Reply #1 here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105905.0.html/