cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to request a rest of SNR?

chesterfield
Grafter

Re: Is it possible to request a rest of SNR?

Hi - you must have responded while I was editing my post above.
I did think that it may have failed due to being in the training phase.  I think later today Im going to swap out the belkin for the netgear that gives me more info (and can override the SNR with the DGteam firmware).  That way I can get the info required, and also probably get a better connection while in this training phase by having the DGTeam firmware overide the target SNR.  I also believe the DG834GT is considered to be a good router at dealing with SNR by all accounts.  I only replaced it due to a duff power supply, so now I have aquired another Im thinking of putting it back in place.
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on viewpoint, we have decent weather here today which means I really must get a puncture repaired on the lawnmower and get the lawns cut - which will probably take the best part of the day as they have been neglected for a few weeks  Embarrassed
Stats at present for downstream are:
sync 7264
SNR 12
ouput power 19.9
attenuation 34.1
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Switching to the Netgear would be a good idea, you can see what's going on as you say. With that current SNRM, the reset order hasn't completed I'd guess, maybe that's why the turn off interleave has failed, you can't have two orders running at the same time.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Chesterfield,
Having looked at your connection over the weekend your line has been stable. I have turned interleaving off, this will complete but the end of tomorrow.
I would certainly use the Netgear to see if you get any better performance and monitor your connection. Hopefully this will solve it.
I've also updated your ticket #57947846.
Any further updates then let me know.
Chris
chesterfield
Grafter

Sad to report that the connection keeps dropping quite often.  Its perfectly stable - but then for some reason the ADSL connection just drops.    There doesnt seem to be any re-authentication taking place, the connection just drops and then reconnects.  Ive now tried with the belkin and the netgear and results are the same.
Can be in the middle of an online game and Im disconnected, then immediatley reconnected again about five seconds later.
Just watching the connection status on the netgear router and it can be very stable and then for no reason drop out and reconnect at the same sync speed just a few seconds later.  Its as though the DSLAM is just going off for a few seconds.  Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Would you mind raising yourself a fault here http://faults.plus.net
I'd be more than happy to take a look into this for you once you have completed the above Broadband Fault Checker Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

Before I do that, can anyone recomend any piece of software that I could run to monitor my connection for a period of time.
Im slightly puzzled as Ive seen the connection speed drop to zero for both upstream and downstream, yet looking at the connection status, the uptime hasn't reset at all.  Only when I have manually disconnected and reconnected has the connection uptime reset.  Im starting to believe its something DSLAM/exchange related rather than my own equipment now.
Any advice on what tests to run etc would be most appreciated - I can then raise a fault and have some useful info to add Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On the Netgear you could try enabling the PPP log to see if that tells you anything (assuming it's the same as the original DG834):
To start the log: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=ppp_debug
To view the log: http://192.168.0.1/ppp_log
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chesterfield
Grafter

its quite interesting - got a drop of snr and connection about every 10 minutes, but log of ppp is showing no reconnection, and wan shows no reset of uptime.  Its just as though the DSLAM just decides to go missing for a few seconds every 10 mins or so...
This would obviously explain why Im kicked off online games every 10 minutes, but whats the cause - now tried 2 routers, plugged into the master socket, no changes to any device in the house or wiring etc..  Just started happening a couple of months ago, dont get on xbox that often due to a new arrival in the family, but when I do, its now obvious something is quite wrong with this connection.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Chesterfield,
I'd say your at the point of needing to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and answer the diagnostic questions. This should resolve your issue and get your connection and sync speeds stable.
As your exchange is soon to be 21CN, it would be worth while getting this issue sorted out to have a better performance when your line upgrades.
Chris
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: chesterfield
got a drop of snr and connection about every 10 minutes

Does your router have a "disconnect if idle" option that's set to 10 minutes?
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi - no such option on the two routers Ive tried Jaggies, but thanks for the suggestion.
Ill go with raising a fault ticket and see if this can be fixed.
I have seen an Openreach van a few times in the last couple of months and a workman up various poles, so perhaps Im not the only one suffering faults.  My neighbour said he was suffering with random disconnects too, I didnt know at the time that I was suffering, as having a new arrival in the house, Im rarely using the net for gaming now - obviously a blip for a couple of seconds or so is not that noticeable when browsing, as I would only see it if I tried to load a page at the time the connection was down.  Its online gaming that shows the issue, as a diconnect for a couple of seconds when gaming throws you out.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chesterfield,
Thanks for your time on the phone this evening, I'm glad we managed to get an engineer booked for you. I'll keep close tabs on this keep in touch with you Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the call - hopefully we will find the route of the problem.  Ive not been able to check for errors on the line or get these from router stats, though they are probably available from the netgear Im now back running on the belkin as it has a better wireles connection for the laptops and iphones etc. Im fairly sure the stats arent available from this router. Im sure the engineer will have some useful gagdets to do the necessary tests with.
Thanks again for the update, much appreciated.
Regards,
Chris.
chesterfield
Grafter

Woo hoo..
Very friendly engineer has been, one of his statements after looking at the wiring from the cable that comes from the telegraph pole to the house was "Im surprised its ever worked".  Apparently it has been wired in a star fashion, using household grade electrical connectors, and probably hasn't been touched since a lazy engineer last installed a cable to the house from the pole back in the 80s by the looks of it.
He has wired it properly at BT's side now and also sorted a faceplate that is up to BT spec.
End result, connection that was lucky to get 6mb or maybe 7mb with SNR of 6 is now a rock solid 8128 with the SNR at 9.  He reckons in a few days that the snr may even drop to 6, but as its solid at the full 8mb with SNR at 9, then its good enough for me.  He says he cant see any errors on the line now either.
Hopefully the PN rate will up from the 5.5mb one it sees a solid connection for a while now.
Many thanks for your help Chris Smiley
Regards,
Chris.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That is fantastic news!
I'm glad the engineer managed to find the root of the problem and got it resolved for you. I'll take a look at your line statistics this afternoon and if I need to make any adjustments to the profile on our side, I'll give it a nudge for you.
Glad we got it all sorted in a timely fashion Smiley