cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to request a rest of SNR?

chesterfield
Grafter

Is it possible to request a rest of SNR?

The reason I ask is that recently we had some electrical work done installing gates and the switching on and off of the router, as well as a quick drop of power during a recent storm seems to have got BT giving me a target SNR of 15  Embarrassed  It used to be quite happy at 6db or below, and a sync speed of the almost full 8mb - sadly now down to around 5 or so.
Thought I would leave it a while and see if the DSLAM would just pick it back up again, but no joy yet - can this be manually reset?
Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Is it possible to request a rest of SNR?

Hi Chesterfield,
Yes this can be manually reset as your connection is very stable, I have done this for you now so you will hopefully see an improvement in the next 24 hours. Smiley
Chris
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thats brilliant - thank you Smiley
I normally remember to switch off most things that could be damaged when I have anywork being carried out on the electrics - cctv storage, NAS, Sky, PCs etc etc but always forget the router  Embarrassed  Roll_eyes
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: chesterfield
I normally remember to switch off most things that could be damaged when I have anywork being carried out on the electrics - cctv storage, NAS, Sky, PCs etc etc but always forget the router  Embarrassed  Roll_eyes

I'm no better, I forget to plug them back in after and wonder why it won't come on  Cheesy
chesterfield
Grafter

Thakns for the previous help Chris - thogh it seems BT arent happy with my connection being stable at 6db, een though i worked fine - theyhe decided tt muc prefer it at 9db and rising...
Thy hav also maneo bork my nice online game friendly pin of 9-12 to a "cant shoot anything witout missing it" 50 ish.n Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did you have interleaving off before? It's probable that with the line reset it will be on.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: chesterfield
Thakns for the previous help Chris - thogh it seems BT arent happy with my connection being stable at 6db, een though i worked fine - theyhe decided tt muc prefer it at 9db and rising...
Thy hav also maneo bork my nice online game friendly pin of 9-12 to a "cant shoot anything witout missing it" 50 ish.n Sad

Since the SNR reset interleaving is now turned on. Can you give the line stats from your router, we need to look at the FEC(Forward Error Correction) to see if interleaving is needed or not.
ADSL2+ is available for you soon, so this could help you in the future, you can check the dates at <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome/">broadband checker</a>.
This shows you to get your <a href="http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php/">line stats</a>.
chesterfield
Grafter

Will see what the line stats are when I get home, but I noticed that Interleaving was on just before going to bed, so set it to turn off again.  Perhaps I can either have the 8mb ish connection with interleaving, or 5-6mb is with interleaving off.  Given that my downloading is normally scheduled overnight if I ever do download large stuff, and my usage throughout the day is either just web or gaming, then Ill go for the interleaving off and slower speed as not being as good as I can be in games due to lag is infuriating.  Not being good in games because Im simply not good, is still infuriating, but I can only blame myself then  Grin
Oooo = ADSL2+ sounds nice if it makes it to our area.  That checker link doesnt seem to work properly, but looking at Samknows it may be coming October time.  Ill have to dig out my stats and see what speeds I could get up to on ADSL2+.  Im amazed really that our one horse town outside Chesterfield is getting anything like that - fibre is a pipe dream for us, so ADSL2+ will be great, hopefully Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I just tried the broadband checker link and it didn't work, not to sure why, try this <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome">one</a> and it should hopefully work for you. Sam knows will give you all the information you need anyway.
With interleaving switched on it has the opposite effect, it potentially can cause your speed to slow down, especially when gaming it would be more noticeable, it a technology that will auto-correct any errors on your line and by doing this can cause a slight lag when gaming and any activity involving your internet connection.
Doing the SNR reset it has turned interleaving on as it thought it was needed, that's why I just want to check what the FEC's are in your router. If all that is OK then I'll get that turned off and you should see a improvement. I don't just want to switch it off any cause further issue's for you if it is needed. I've run some test's on your line and no errors are showing, just need to clarify that with your stats from your router.
I normally blame my equipment, I play pool and no matter which cue I play with, it always get's the blame  Grin I just can't admit that I'm no good!
ADSL2+ is coming to you soon, 30th September is the due date, so yeah October would make sense.
Chris
chesterfield
Grafter

Sadly th only stats I gan gain fom th Belkin F5D8635 are the basic line stats:
...........................Downstream...............upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)....7296........................ 832
Noise Margin......... 11.0........................ 10.0
Output power ..........19.9....................... 12.3
Attenuation............. 34.0........................18.0
Though I know Ive had interleaving off before as I had pings well into the low teens from pngtest.net and the like before.  Just logged into my account again and the option to turn it off had appeared again, even though I set this to off yesterday  Huh

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you checked if clicking that button has caused any tickets to be raised on your account? I thought that's all clicking did, required someone to pick the ticket up and action it.
David
Anotherone
Champion

@chesterfield
That Downstream noise margin (in conjunction with the sync speed and attenuation) in the last stats you've posted suggests that you still have some sort of line or internal wiring problems that need to be looked at.
chesterfield
Grafter

Not changed the location or wiring of the router in two years, or indeed anything related to the home phones  Huh
There was a ticket raised on the 19th, 20th and 21st to turn off interleaving - yet I also have another open ticket that look sto be automated that has the following response on each of those dates:
"Generic Modify Transaction order to turn interleave OFF, BT setting of 'Auto', (not a change of product) has been rejected. Failed order (our ref: 7030) "
Dont know what that means, but all I know is interleaving keeps showing up every day as "on", and its not been turned off.  Resulting in daft lag in online games.  I wish Id not mentioned anything now - id rather stick it back to the 6mb and a nice low teen or even single digit pings.
On another note, reading back through this thread, I must replace the batteries in my wireless keyboard on the other pc - some of my posts are utter gibberish! Sorry.  Embarrassed
chesterfield
Grafter

And another one of these messages again at 12:45 last night.....
Generic Modify Transaction order to turn interleave OFF, BT setting of 'Auto', (not a change of product) has been rejected. Failed order (our ref: 7030)
I guess im destined never to have a decent gaming connection again.....  Ive raised an actual ticket to get it turned off manually now, as the automated way through the control panel seems not to like me.
I think I may also revert back to my older DG834GT with the DGteam firmware on there, as Im not convinced that this Belkin job either A, gives me enough stats, or B, works well as an internet router.  I think Ill just use this Belkin as an access point and have one router dedicated to providing internet access and not use it as a wifi connection for the house at all.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post the current stats to see what changes may have occurred. It will need a member of Plusnet staff to investigate why the order has failed (twice!). It could be that the reset order has completed and the Line is in training and you may have to wait until training is finished.