cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to move exchange.

kmilburn
Grafter

Is it possible to move exchange.

This might seem like an odd  question,  but I'm interested to know if it's possible to have my phone line moved from one exchange to another.
The roll out of BT’s fibre broadband network continues as they announce the next 63 locations to have their exchanges upgraded.

Seemingly lucky for me,  one of the exchanges being upgraded is half a mile from my house.
Unlucky for me, as this house was built in the first phase, I'm connected to the central exchange 4 miles away,  which is not being upgraded.
8 REPLIES 8
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: Is it possible to move exchange.

Ring BT and tell them you are interested in installing a second line.  Ask them if they know what exchange it would be connected to.

If it would be connected to the nearest exchange then get a new line installed and then and only then cancel your old line so they cant reuse it for your new line if that makes sense.  Don't worry about the cost of the line as BT have a special offer on at the moment for free line install which would save you £125.  Have a look at this page.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-BT-line-installation
mal0z
Grafter

I don't think that would work as there are almost certainly spare pairs in the cable from your street cabinet/junction box to the exchange and they would use that.
But still worth asking BT if you could move - but my guess would be they will say no.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Which way do the cables go? Might be more chance if they pass the new exchange. Definitely worth asking though - do you by any chance suffer reliability problems with your current line?
David
prichardson
Grafter

Yes, you can select to be on a different exchange.
Cost wise, the standard installation fee will only cover you for installation on the "serving" exchange, which in your case is not going to be on the fibre network yet.
A move of exchange is a non-standard installation and as such, any costing must be met. From a residential standpoint, they wont even offer the costs. Why? Because you are talking above £1000 absolute minimum, and most residential users won't cover this (we see DACS removals involving 4 pole and a 100 meter span of cable, wanting £800+ to cover the excess).
As a business, you may be considered, but again will not be offered as standard and you will need to note you wish to review any planning costs associated.
Bear in mind though, this will get you a copper installation. FTTC/P will be to serving cabs. As a single use installation wanting a line from a non-serving exchange, they are extremely unlikely to serve your cab with fibre. So whilst you may be able to get the products from your cab, it may be so far away, it wasn't any benefit and may be a lower speed product than Max from your serving exchange.
So yes, it's possible. Is it worth it, given the cost of installation and the unknown point that will the end goal get you the product you are after, I wouldn't bother.
prichardson
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Which way do the cables go? Might be more chance if they pass the new exchange. Definitely worth asking though - do you by any chance suffer reliability problems with your current line?

Forgot to add with this, the faults route is not one to take if you like your current phone number.
Your phone number is only available from your serving exchange and any change will mean a renumber as well
Zap
Grafter

I have a similar problem, I am on a modern lights out exchange and get 6.5mb, BUT it is a BT only exchange so there is no competition.  The nearest competitive exchange is used in buildings about 400m down the road, but it is awful, even if you lived close to it the wiring is KWAP because it dates back to the 70's.
I gather that when BT did the cabling for houses they shared cables between groups of houses and this makes ADSL connection speed dire.  If you were a BT customer you "might" get them to replace that shared cable if the internet connection was bad enough, BUT once you move to another provider you are stuffed.  Talk Talk told me that BT wholesale charge them £1100 per customer to replace that wire.
One wonders once we are paying the 50p stealth tax for broadband (to be introduced in this parliament) will we be able to demand investment or will OFCOM continue to allow us to be screwed as usual.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Phil:
Quote from: kmilburn
Seemingly lucky for me,  one of the exchanges being upgraded is half a mile from my house.
Unlucky for me, as this house was built in the first phase, I'm connected to the central exchange 4 miles away,   which is not being upgraded.

Even if he couldn't get FTTC surely there is still the likelihood of a significant improvement in his broadband speeds.
I think the standard cable to a house will support two lines. I wonder is ordering two extra lines so that a new cable (hopefully on the new exchange) has to be laid.
kmilburn: Do you know if any of your near neighbours are on the new exchange? If they are it means that the conduits are in place which would mean that what you are asking for might be possible. If no-one near you is on the new exchange you haven't a cat in hell's chance!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kmilburn
Grafter

From what I'm aware,  my immediate neighbours are on the same exchange.
If you travel a few streets west, they're on the newer exchange.
Oh, well,  I guess I'll have to wait till they upgrade the main exchange.
That does have one advantage,  it's earmarked for ADSL2+ in a couple of months, while the nearer one has no date.

In case your curious..  I'm connected to SSSWN,  in close proximity to SSTHL,  and there coverage is something like this.