cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to increase download speeds?

NickeePowell

Is it possible to increase download speeds?

Hi, up until recently my download speeds have been around 550-450 kb/s, recently this has dropped to around 350 kb/s and I was
wondering if there is any way to increase it, I'm trying to download large files and it is taking painfully long.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is it possible to increase download speeds?

There does seem to be a lot of errors on your line - mostly correctable which could affect the speed test result - and this is with an increased default noise margin which has reduced your speed
I assume that the speeds you refer to are actually kB/s (kilobytes) not kb/s (kilobits) although the BT test result is also very low
Were the speed tests carried out wired of wireless
Can you describe your internal wiring setup
Can you post a link to this speedtest which may be a bit more informative http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=...
AndyT
Grafter

Hi NickeePowell,
Has that speed test been run over a wireless or Ethernet connection?  Also, are you still experiencing the noise you recently reported on your phone line?
NickeePowell

Hi, thanks for the replies! The test was carried out from a wired connection, using the other speed test seems to have impacted the result
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1434103853513290355
And yes after plugging the phone into the master socket I believe there is still noise, would that also have an impact?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
In short - yes!  Whilst there is noise on th eline, it is futile looking at BB speed issues.  You need to get your phone provider to fix the noise.  If it is PlusNet, you can use the phone problem link below to report a fault.
Your error rates look high, there have been a number of disconnections and the DS SNRM is higher than normal - all point to a problem with the circuit.
Wifi connectivity could compound the issue, but first focus on getting the line noise sorted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.