cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for youtube to be agonisingly slow?

fatdeeman
Grafter

Is it normal for youtube to be agonisingly slow?

It's more of a problem during peak times but even so, if I try to watch a 360p video it loads fine but if I turn it to 480p it stops dead and I can wait 10 minutes for a 3 minute clip to load!
Funnily enough, the youtube speed test always shows a speed more than sufficient to stream a 480p video without disruption and the youtube test video always plays smoothly but as soon as you try to play something else it comes to a standstill, how strange!
I don't see why it has to be so slow, it might well be normal traffic management but is there any need to slow it down to dialup speeds when it wouldn't need all that much bandwidth to load a 480p video smoothly?
I also seem to get poor overall latency with any site, and the more popular the site is the slower it seems to be, especially things like ebay and google maps. My neighbour has Sky broadband which costs a lot less, is effectively unlimited even during peak times and is always day and night faster using youtube and iplayer and google maps and ebay and flickr and so on and so on.
Why is it he pays half as much as me yet my experience is only as good off peak?
I'm seriously tempted to change to sky after all these years because despite the great support I'm just completely fed up of slow youtube and slow ebay  and any other site where I think to myself "this would be so much faster on his connection"
Even at work on the creaky old Celeron 1.2ghz laptop on the shop counter I notice how much faster it is to navigate every day websites.....