cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it my profile?

zebbedi
Grafter

Is it my profile?

My line has literally at 8am this morning been upgraded to ADSL2+. Doing a speed test however it looks like i'm still being capped at 8Mbit.
Do i need to wait for plus.net to sort my profile out or something?

ADSL Status Mode: ADSL2+(G.992.5)
State: SHOWTIME
Up Speed: 443000
Down Speed: 20921000
SNR Margin: 5
Loop Att.: 18
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Is it my profile?

What's your IP Profile as reported by the BT speed test?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zebbedi
Grafter

Don't know, its not working. Just get:
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider. "
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi zebbedi,
That error will be because the order hasn't been closed yet (most likely), so the line isn't quite ADSL1 or ADSL2 yet. As for the profile, it was set to 7150 on our side so I've upped this to the max of 21000 (it'll update when we get an update from BT, but in the mean time should stop any profile related slowdowns caused by us.
Hope that helps,
zebbedi
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for that. Is it up to BT to close the issue or Plus.net?
also, is it possible to change my upload speed back to 800 or 1mb or whatever? before i had the faster upload speed but ive now noticed its dropped back down to 400 odd.
I take it its ok to do this now before the training period has ended?
cheers
matt
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I believe that you were previously paying for Max Premium. That extra £8 should be removed from your account because the higher upload speeds are a standard option on 21CN.
Plusnet: Why haven't you got any processes in place to ensure that when Max Premium users are moved to 21CN/ADSL2+ they don't suffer a loss of upload speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Plusnet: Why haven't you got any processes in place to ensure that when Max Premium users are moved to 21CN/ADSL2+ they don't suffer a loss of upload speed?

We are currently excluding any customers with Max Premium from the bulk upgrades so we don't come across this problem. However as this order was placed manually, it was a simple human error. I'll go and place the order to increase the upload once the current order completes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zebbedi
Grafter

Thanks Chris, that would be much appreciated.
Connection seems quite stable at the moment, although the profile change at your end doesn't seem to have made much difference.
Also seems to be a small bit of crackle noise on the phone line when i make phone calls, but ill sort that out after the internet is sorted. Smiley
zebbedi
Grafter

Well i finally managed to get a BT Speedtest. Can someone explain what i have todo to get BT profile to increase? Or is this just part of the training? Do i need to reboot the router each morning or leave it or what?

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8184 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :20919 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 21.24:22.72:56.05 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi zebbedi,
The order was only closed as complete this morning so the line needs to go through the training period in order to establish the best profile - this should happen within a couple of days,  5 or so at the outside. If things don't improve please let us know and we'll get a fault raised for you however as with ADSL1 we can't raise a fault during the initial training period I'm afraid.
zebbedi
Grafter

So do i just leave it and forget about it? Or does it need a reboot now and again?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can do either, though I'd only recommend rebooting if you notice a drop in the sync speed. If you do, it's best done once a day in the morning as there tends to be less interference at that time and the BRAS will get a better reading.
zebbedi
Grafter

Well did a bt test and things are looking to improve  Smiley

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13007 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :20919 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 18000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.1:20.61:70.29 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
Chris
Legend

That's looking better, we've got a delta report for your line overnight of 18000 so all is looking well.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I've just checked your PM, I'll go place the order now to complete tomorrow to increase your upload speed.
*edit*
No I wont Sad The order is 'still in progress' and not due to close off until tomorrow, so it'll be early next week at the earliest you see the higher upload speeds.