cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it my line or my hardware?

murphtang1988
Dabbler

Is it my line or my hardware?

Ok so i've been advised by a BT Business engineer that our line/hardware i sthe issue to out internet woes which we have been suffering with for nearly 6 months now.
bellow i have attached pictures regarding out line, router setup, speed tests etc.

as you can see we are not far from out ADSL enabled exchange and these speeds are just bad upload speed wise the download is generally fine.
the cabinet is just at the end Victoria St and Orrell Lane so its not har from my house.
I should also add we have been an enabled area for over a year with no sign of progression or if/when they will turn on the cabinet down our road.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Is it my line or my hardware?

Hi there,
I've just been looking into this for you.
Diagnostics don't show me any obvious causes for this at the moment. I can see the last contact from us on the last fault ticket (89030582) was us requesting times for an engineer visit so it's highly likely we'd need to do that in order to investigate further.
As you may understand engineer visits can lead to charges being levied if the fault is found to be with your equipment so with that in mind the only way to rule that out as a cause is by trying other known working equipment. Is trying another router something you'd be able to do?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
murphtang1988
Dabbler

Hello
we changed to the router we are using now 2 weeks ago with no increase or decrease in speed BUT it has removed the drop outs we where suffering originally with the PlusNet branded router.
I also had a friend diagnose the socket (does basic BT fittings) found no obvious issues on his little box of tricks.
We are connected to the master socket and I have replaced the microfilter when we replaced the router....
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, one thing I forgot to mention is that as you might be aware speeds over WiFi will always be inherently slower than using ethernet.
I can see anything noted regarding this but apologies if you've already done this; are speeds any different when you test using a network cable between a computer and your rotuer?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
murphtang1988
Dabbler

I should hope not my desktop is hard wired @ 1Gb/s and the iphone was next to the router on a wireless AC connection (~600Mb/s at the time)
regards
Sean
Bud
Grafter

The image for the speeds from what I presume is the desktop is around what I would be expect on Max DSL
murphtang1988
Dabbler

so what do i do? a VPN is not usable on this connection which is what i need to make a living? tempted to replace my connection with a pigeon would probably more reliable and faster, advise me customer service reps dang it!
how do i add pressure to Bt to turn this blooming fiber on? how do i hassle plus net to give me a propper upload speed? how do i kill a mocking bird (dang pigeons)
avatastic
Grafter

As you're stuck on ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps) your only option for faster uploads is to pay for Max Premium (Faster upload speeds) at http://trials.plus.net for £7.83 (inc. VAT) per month.
P.S. you've left your phone number in the Availability checker screen capture.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
murphtang1988
Dabbler

I did, ah well we don't have a phone hooked up anyway 😉
we are looking into the Max/Pro add-on but an extra £5 a month for a maybe isn't the solution to fixing an issue that shouldn't arise.
Ive done some digging up on my local exchange and its last upgrade was 2006... this means out internet connection is from 2006 which was fine 8 years ago, but why would they deem this acceptable in a world of fast moving technology? sure the ADSL2/SDSL  roll out should of been done round the country aswell its not as if BT isn't a multi billion £ corp surely to justify the line rental they should upgrade as technology comes available not fob it off for 8 years.
Now say if the analogue box was damaged im sure they would be there in hours to repair it instead of activating a service that has already been run like the FTTC.  The box is activated and ready but BT obviously are just holding back their rollouts in the area to make fiugures next year I saw them run the line down to the box after all and i've even been to the exchange and asked them.
gets on my nerves this poor attitude from large corporations recently.  Also i noted that their is almost no LLU based ISP's here either now plusnet is part of BT so why hasn't every line plusnet sell based on an LLU?