cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it OK to have 2 master sockets on same line?

MrT
Grafter

Is it OK to have 2 master sockets on same line?

First, let me say that both voice and broadband are working fine at the moment.
When a BTOR Engineer visited last week to investigate a fault, he fitted a new NTE5 where the phone lines enters my property. This is then wired, via the removable faceplate, to my original LJU2 master socket. A further cable connects the LJU2 to a LJU1 secondary socket. I have phones plugged into both NTE5 and LJU2. My router is plugged into the LJU1. (All are connected via filters)
Whilst I understand the difference between a master and secondary socket, I don't know whether this arrangement affects the quality and speed of my Broadband.  Undecided
Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Is it OK to have 2 master sockets on same line?

If I remember rightly, this used to cause issues with older pulse dial telephones as you'd get bell ringing on the other extensions when you dialled out.
Personally I'd consider just clipping off the components and using it as a secondary socket. You'll have a surge protector connected in parallel with the line (which could attenuate the signal if faulty) and a capacitor and resistor which generate the bell signal which could also give you issues.
However if it is all working without an issue then no harm with leaving it as it is  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, leaving that set up as is should be fine. Personally I'd consider removing the bell wire if any problems start to occur.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MrT
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
I had previously removed the bell wire between LJU2 and LJU1.
I'm not sure whether the bell wire has been connected to the new NTE5 faceplate. I'll check it out if I ever switch the router off. - I don't want to do that now as all is working fine!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I don't want to do that now as all is working fine!

Sounds best to me, I'm a firm believer in the old adage about not trying to fix that which isn't broken Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team