cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is broadband usage a random estimation?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is broadband usage a random estimation?

Those aren't banded speeds Kevin, so that's not what's going on.
Have you had a listen to the phone line yet adobo? If you haven't bought a cheap corded (ie. not cordless) phone yet, can you borrow one from a friend or neighbour?
LukeS
Grafter

Good Afternoon,
I was just looking on our back end system and the usage appears to match what you've described. Nothing was recorded between 13-18 of Oct. It's possible that your VMBU is out of sync but it's not something that really crops up on unlimited accounts.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Luke,
Good to see you back on the forums...
Do you have a view on the modem stats please?  They seem odd for the attenuation and the SNRM is up and down a fair bit.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LukeS
Grafter

Doesn't look great! It's currently being investigated!
Anotherone
Champion

You haven't said anything about whether your line is noisy adobo.
If you fancy getting a bit more technical with the monitoring, (it means leaving the computer on if you want to do so continuously) -
Try RouterStats-Lite from here. Very easy to set up.
adobo
Dabbler

Thanks Anotherone.
I was waiting for PlusNet to have a say on the issue. Taking into account that the router is new and so is the master connection, that the router didn't crash, that it sometimes lost connection independently on whether I was using it or not, the variations in synchronized speed and SNR and from your help I thought it was unlikely a problem on my side.
I had an engineer from Openreach to check the line, and he found it to be fine on all parameters he checked, so no noisy line. But when he checked the ADSL, he couldn't get either more than 10Mbps on his device. So at the moment I am waiting for PlusNet to check the data gathered by Openreach.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, obviously the line is not as good as it should be, but depending on what tests the engineer actually did, intermittent noisy lines are not always detected. If he didn't do copper tests, then he wouldn't have detected bad joints etc. This is where the phone comes in handy, if there is an iffy joint or fault between one line and another, or sometimes water in it, when it starts playing up a bit, you can often hear it. Then it stops for a while, so you don't actually hear noise, but your broadband isn't good.
Have a look at your fault ticket and see if there is any detail there about a Copper Line Test (CLT) - you can post it here if you want, but don't post your phone number, circuit IDs or the agents name on the forum.
If you want to try running RouterStatsLite and want some guidance setting it up, just ask.