cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone using a Cisco 877 router?

LordFox
Rising Star

Is anyone using a Cisco 877 router?

I'm thinking of buying one, but would feel much happier if I knew someone else was using one on PN.
I have a block of of IP's and want the 877 to take care of NAT'ing on it's IP through one port for my general LAN, and routing the other public IP's though another port for my servers.
Rick.
Edit - OK, sorry, should have STF'd first! Anyone would think I was a newb! For some reason I didn't think there would be anything...
I would still appreciate any thoughts/comments/hints on this. It's partly to learn IOS properly as thus far I've been mainly a 3Com guy...
3 REPLIES 3
MickKi
Grafter

Re: Is anyone using a Cisco 877 router?

I can't help you I'm afraid, but as far as I know Cisco use VLANs and therefore you can cut it (port-wise and Class B private address-wise) as you like.  Then you set access control policies and lists to allow internet access to your servers and what have you.  Setting up a 1:many, or even many:many NAT configurations, either using the GUI or the Cisco command set, is relatively straight forward.
HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick
LordFox
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Mick.
I've got a Smoothwall box currently doing routing and firewall duty, fed by an old Solwise SAR715, and modified to route between two VLAN's on my LAN. One VLAN is for jumbo-frame gigabit only, the other for wireless and anything else on my LAN, so I'll need to keep the SW box as a router between the two. I know there are Cisco routers that will do that job as well but the price is out of my reach  Shocked
I don't particularly want to NAT except for the private LAN. I'm hoping that the 877 will let me just route the five remaining IP's so I can give my servers public addresses. At the same time as NAT'ing with it's own IP for the private LAN. Of course I will be rapidly climbing the IOS firewall configuration learning curve!
I image it's powerful enough to do that, but I'm concerned about which IOS version can do it and whether my 2nd user 877 has it.
Rick.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: LordFox
I don't particularly want to NAT except for the private LAN. I'm hoping that the 877 will let me just route the five remaining IP's so I can give my servers public addresses. At the same time as NAT'ing with it's own IP for the private LAN. Of course I will be rapidly climbing the IOS firewall configuration learning curve!

You should be able to do classic NATing of your private LAN machines so that they can access the Internet.  You should also be able to forward traffic for each one of your Internet IP addresses to a particular server (by changing the destination address according to the incoming source address) and inversely be able to change the outgoing source address as you may desire.  You can also control what the LAN machines can access across the VLAN boundaries, so that they access the servers, or vice versa.  As I said, you can cut your traffic in many ways and it is rather easier than hacking iptables rules (hmm, not sure about that - I find iptables self explanatory and much more versatile).
Quote from: LordFox
I image it's powerful enough to do that, but I'm concerned about which IOS version can do it and whether my 2nd user 877 has it.

I believe all current versions (latest firmware) should be able to do it.  Why don't you contact Cisco and ask their online rep for some advice.
--
Regards,
Mick