cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is any one else seeing incorrect speedtest results ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Is any one else seeing incorrect speedtest results ?

Since a few weeks ago my upstream results when using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html Are always less than 50% of my real upstream throughput and the latency is over double, the actual latency to the IP that speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com resolves to for me, 80.249.107.221 when it used to give more or less accurate results, I'm guessing that there isn't an issue with the think broadband speedtester it's self as there are no posts on their forum regarding it
So is there an issue with the transit links into their speedtester?  If other plusnet  FTTC customers are seeing the same then it may indicate some network issue, Is there any way those links can be checked ?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is any one else seeing incorrect speedtest results ?

I have noticed recently that the standard TBB speed tester is indicating around 92% of what other testers and my firewall say.
The TBB extended speed tester (which does both IPv4 and IPv6) also indicates about 92% of true throughput.
I thought that with both of those TBB speed testers, that the results would be indicated on their Broadband map (if you supplied your postcode), but my recent results don't appear, and results which were there a few months ago have gone - although there are still some results in my exchange area.
Maybe it's broken, a few days ago I did look for some sort of service status report, but found nothing, and couldn't see any obvious way to report it.
Note that I am on "up to" 8Mbps ADSL, on a 20CN exchange, and get the same TBB speed results at any hour of the day or night !
deathtrap
Grafter

Downstream results are around what other speed testers report, which is a little lower than what my actual downstream  throughput is
This issue probably wont show on ASDL as the upstream speeds are a lot lower  here's what i am seeing http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=138385376689605286155
and for comparison http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3085928485
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine seems fair.

Sam is reporting as of 8:00pm
32.69  upload Download
5.99 download Upload
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Mine also seems OK.

This compares with

& Sam concurs.
adie:green fixed tbb url
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

For the first time ever mine seem comparable..

Previously, like purleigh, I've always found them a bit on the low side.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Absolutely fine here this morning.

(ETA) Speedtest.net for comparison.
deathtrap
Grafter

Well it's the same for me today as it has been for the past few weeks, still giving results that are less than 50 % of the upstream throughput,and the latency it reports is around double what my latency is,It's strange, as since my FTTC went live it apart from a breif period has always worked giving more or less reliable results, now it doesn't nothing has changed my side of things
Anonymous
Not applicable

As this discussion is still going, I just thought I would run the TBB speed tests again and got this puzzling and repeatable result -

Keep in mind that my that my true IPv4 download speed is always between 6.65Mbps and 6.90Mbps - as measured with a SamKnows whitebox, my Linux Firestarter firewall, speedtest.net, and my DrayTek router's "data flow monitor".
The ThinkBroadband speed test says my IPv4 downloads at 5.24Mbps yet my IPv6 (which is a tunnel over IPv4) is 6.25Mbps.
How can my IPv6 tunneled traffic have a speed test result a full megabit faster than the IPv4 path that is carrying it ?
The ThinkBroadband speed testers have NEVER shown representative speed test results on my connection, and I still can't get their mapping program to display any of my results.