cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is adsl still on line after Fibre install

amcclean
Rising Star

Is adsl still on line after Fibre install

My line died on Friday and it looks like it may take a while to fix as BT don't appear to accept any line issues without me having to take time off for them to attend or indeed not attend as they wish.
I am currently therefore using my 3g mobile phone as a hotspot and surprisingly getting faster response times than i did on fibre.
If a line has fibre  does the old adsl service remain available on the line as a backup? eg using a filter etc into the phone socket part of the main socket as a backup?

podman

4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Is adsl still on line after Fibre install

FTTC uses VDSL2 - a different form of DSL using a much wider frequency range, it is not possible for ASDL (in any form) to co-exist on the same line as VDSL2.
If you have FTTH then it may be possible to have both since FTTH doesn't use the phone line at all (but you'd have to pay separately for the ADSL in that case).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Answer is no, your FTTC using VDSL technology at the cabinet from the exchange. You will not be able to use ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ on the master socket that already had fibre live on it. The only way is purchase a second phone line with DSL on it. (these will cost u another line rental plus DSL product and installation/activation fee by BTW) Not worth it. The easy way get pay as you go 3G mobile broadband here: http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Plans/Pay_As_You_Go?aidset=1&id=1399&gclid=CKDL9Iao0bwCFQN...
amcclean
Rising Star

Worth a shot. My phone line is ok just the FTC that appears gubbed.
It's been showing symptoms for over three months and BT have never found anything. At least no they can't or at least shouldn't be able to argue all is well.
thanks,
podman
amcclean
Rising Star

goldenadsl, it's my 3g three mobile that is saving the day. Page load times faster than my previously "working" fibre.