cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a third BB line an option for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is a third BB line an option for me?

I was wondering if I could get a third line installed? I know I could phone and order, but I don't think it's as simple as that as the wire coming from the exchange is only two pair and these are used. If I were to get a third line would there be an installation cost (to me) in getting a new cable run from the exchange?

14 REPLIES 14
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Is a third BB line an option for me?

It could be done, but as you have pointed, out there are no spare pairs in the build up to your property.
For a new line installation, the £49.99 charge will be there, and I'd imagine there would be a bit of a delay in provision whilst Openreach formulate the most simple means for syncing a line up to your property (preferably with a pair divert from a different DP).
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MattyC
Apart from the obvious I'm not to sure what the remainder of what you say means. But the phone lines to the property is UG all the way to the exchange as I understand it, so that may cause more scratching of heads.
Would you venture to give me a tentative time scale on this please?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is usually a local distribution point (DP) which can be a box on a pole or and underground splitter as the cable from the exchange to you would be a multicore (normally via a cab but not necessarily) which terminates at a point where the individual lines split off
It sounds as though the local DP hasn't any spare pairs
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there could well be but my assumption (which may well be wrong) was based on the fact that both my lines are Exchange Only which is partly to blame for the delay in getting fibre.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Timescales are very very hard to give in this kind of situation, it could be a couple of weeks, it could be many months. It'll depend on how easy it is to reroute a new pair and where from.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on hold to support as I can't find a number for sales on the Plusnet site, does anyone have one?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Customer sales
From landlines: 0800 432 0080
From mobiles: 0330 123 0170
8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 7pm Saturday
9am - 6pm Sunday
If we're closed you can use our Sales Enquiry form and one of our sales advisors will call you back.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: alanj
From landlines and mobiles: 0800 432 0080
From mobiles: 0330 123 0170

Roll_eyes
How long since Ofcom forced all UK operators to make 0800 free?
Sorry to drift off topic here but why are Plusnet still suggesting a potentially chargeable number instead of the guaranteed free one for mobiles (not everyone has spare included minutes).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, just ordered it, with the help of the very nice agent RR, scheduled install date isn't until the 23rd but I can live with that. Now, off to amazon to my a modem.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

So, would I be correct to assume you'll be 'triple-balanced' when it gets installed?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Or maybe even:
Load Balanced Tri-ADSL.
or
Load Balanced ADSL3
Mind you the modems I use are £60 each so maybe time to try a TP-Link TD-8818, unless anyone else has any recommendations.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that was short lived. Just had an email saying:
Unfortunately, there's been a delay to the order for your telephone service.
We'll contact you again once we have more details about this.

Now, does this mean my date of the 23rd has already slipped?
And why can't the email tell me what the delay is, surely it (the system) MUST know.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The Order has been passed to Openreach Network Planning for routing the network intervention required was more complex than can be handled automatically.

So we need to get more information on when the routing work will be completed for the new line, at the moment there is no other info unfortunately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK Chris, thanks for that, makes more sense now I know the reason.
P.S. When you have time can you look at my new post in Accounts and Billing please.  Grin