cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a phone line needed for FTTC service

juanpauk

Is a phone line needed for FTTC service

Hi,
I am new here, just had the FTTC service installed. I would like to ask if the phone line is required in order to have the FTTC running?
The reason I ask is because my previous provider will cut off the services broadband + phone later today and I don't want to end up with no internet connection. I only used the phone line to be able to have broadband,  I don't even have a handset.
If a line is not needed I guess I will cancel the transfer of it to PN.
Many Thanks,
Juan
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: Is a phone line needed for FTTC service

It will work without a telephone service but under the T&C's
you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service. An engineer installation visit will be required where no working fibre installation already exists. The provision of Plusnet Fibre is subject to availability and a line check. The service may be incompatible with other services you have.

x47c
Grafter

I believe that in the UK it is a requirement that a landline is not offered supplying broadband only and no voice phone service on it.
I think this is under OFCOM rules.
In other countries the so called 'Naked DSL' is available.
Part of this reason is that quite a bit of the landline rental charge is used to maintain and the improve the broadband network.
So you can say that landline voice phone users are paying a subsidy through their line rental to the broadband sector.
There are 32 million voice phone lines in the UK so thats a lot of landline income that can/is being used to improve exchanges, put in 21CN etc.
If the cross subsidy from the rental income of these was removed by people being able to opt out of paying the landline voice rental charges then broadband charges would have to go up very significantly to compensate.
juanpauk

Thank you both for the info. I will enjoy my 14 days of no phone line chrages  Wink
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

One of my mum's friend had FTTC on the line and guess what, no line rental. Her line rental was switched off by BT. As her FTTC is with Tesco. I believe FTTC still working if phone line is cut off.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

...Err no ...if no-one is actually paying the line rental then the line will be disconnected shortly..goodbye broadband ,fibre or otherwise! Grin Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Here's a link and full quote of the condition quoted above:
Plusnet Fibre Optic Broadband Service Terms
What we provide
[list type=decimal]
  • The service we agree to give you includes:
    [list type=decimal]
  • a high-speed fibre broadband service;

• helpdesk services;

• other applications and features as described at http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/

• installation of network equipment required to enable you to use the service

• The equipment we agree to give you includes a:
    [list type=decimal]
  • data extension kit (required only if there is no double power socket near your telephone master socket). If required, the engineer will ask for your agreement to install during his installation visit.

• you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service. An engineer installation visit will be required where no working fibre installation already exists. The provision of Plusnet Fibre is subject to availability and a line check. The service may be incompatible with other services you have.

• jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)