cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet Down Again?

philsolo

Re: Is Plusnet Down Again?

Quote from: Anotherone
Everyone still having problems reconnecting, try logging into your router. If your Internet/PPP is showing Connected, click Disconnect and leave it for 10 minutes and then try clicking Connect. It that fails, then try the dreaded Restart your Router (NOT reset).

Nope - tried disconnecting, reconnecting, restarting router, cold-booting router several times - Still Broken  Angry Angry
On the Usage graphs ptn-bng01 is still showing NO current users as of whenever the last snapshot was, so that is quite clearly NOT fixed at all. In fact if you ignore the numerical stats which are clearly wrong and just look at the colour graph, all the BNG connections dropped at about16:30 and none are yet up and stable, so PlusNet's claim that 'most' users are now okay seems slightly to skate over the fact that significantt numbers of people are still having problems Sad
chrcoluk
Grafter

I was commenting on another forum how good my tbb graph looks tonight and how flatlined my tbb speedtest is, then I find out a big chunk of pn's customers cannot connect, maybe I found the reason? O_o
I guess good advice is if you find yourself on a BNG and want stability, hop onto an older router.
wirefish

Still no update from PN and their Twitter feed is now going offline after advising some people to turn routers of for half an hour, and repeat until working... really?
This looks like a repeat of the issues on Sept 19 except PN service updates don't even recognise there is an ongoing problem.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@philsolo, see previous posts of mine and a few others, the graphs are unreliable, and we don't think all the bngs went down.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Managed to get back on. In the end just left the router to retry and retry authentication and it eventually got back in on it's own. I had followed all the other tips in this thread and in the PNet announcement mail but had no luck there.
For me it was another approx 4 hour outage like last time and from reading this thread it sounds like the problem is the same as last time. I hope the problem gets fixed up and this doesn't become a regular thing. This and the previous 4 hour outage are the longest I've seen on Plusnet over the past year. It's usually quite reliable for me and it would be good if it went back that way 😕
Griffsters
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Nobody should have suggested a Reset, a Restart is not a Reset. A Restart can be achieved by a power down waiting several minutes and then power up again if your Modem/Router doesn't have the Interface to do a graceful Disconnect from PPP and then a Reset click.

Indeed, I did all this. However, whilst browsing for answers on my mobile the service message at 1754hrs http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial suggests a process that in effect resets everything to default. Router admin password and wireless network details being the most notable.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I estimate about 6k extra users per each AG gateway, 6 × 16 = 96k users, which suggests more than one BNG must have been affected. Latest graphs suggest 2 or 3 BNGs were affected.
Anotherone
Champion

What about ptw-ag04? Never mind the graphs, the figures said it dropped a load as well, but looking at both the graphs and the figures now, I wonder if the stuck figures you mentioned earlier were due to stale sessions not dying.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: ejs
20k+ users that supposedly dropped off ptw-ag04 don't immediately re-connect to ptw-ag04, so that probably didn't happen.

I think ptw-ag04 was nothing more than a reporting glitch.
Anotherone
Champion

But the graph and figures were consistent on ptw-ag04, so who knows!
@Griffsters
That advice is appalling advice nobody should ever follow, unless every other thing including a restart and session kill at Plusnet's end has failed and it's know that the network is full functional.
I've only rarely come across a situation where the modem/router was that screwed that a factory reset was needed.
Griffsters
Dabbler

Aye, couldnt agree more. Perhaps not something that should be suggested on an official service update whilst still in the midst of a sh*tstorm! I read it as something that needed doing if connectivity hadn't returned.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm assuming the gathering of the data is the problematic element of the graph drawing process, rather than the turning numbers into pixels part.
Considering this and the previous outage, I'm not sure that there are many people at Plusnet who have any idea about doing this "session kill" at their end.
ddigital

Even more a screwed up IP Address now,
212.159.126.78 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 212.159.6.10 PPPoA Up
Up and going nowhere.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

It's boarding on embarrassing for PN from bad technical advice on a service status  seen by thousands,to not using a service status line for god know how long, even though we was promised last time it would be used . From last time Kelly described it as outrageous 
Quote from: Kelly
I'll pick that up.  Outragous we aren't using it really Sad

PN you are making yourselves look like a bunch of amateurs, with regards to keeping customers updated, and with correct advice, on this latest problem
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Not sure if this is related, but since today, when all this started, my sync has also become unstable. Prior to today, I was having uptimes of over 20odd days.
Its probably just coincidence.  Sync has only just stabalised in the past 30mins or so.