cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PN slowing things down in the evenings ?

nixonis

Re: Is PN slowing things down in the evenings ?

Hi there
Also having massive problems with YouTube clips slowing down and stopping totally. Particularly in the evening, but today also during the day. We are also having a few problems with the internet connection going down for a few seconds several times in an evening and between around 7pm and 10pm we are having massive problems with speed on everything, including email and facebook.
I just ran a speedtest and download is at 1.79Mb and upload at 0.35Mb. We are on unlimited ADSL, not fibre, and based in SW13.
I am not able to phone and don't know how to raise a ticket with support as the online app is giving me an error message.
Hope this is just a YouTube problem, but I suspect not.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sounds like you may have a more general fault here!  Have you raised a faults request through http://faults.plus.net?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
nixonis

Hi there
Clicking on that link you have just given me, I get this:
Broadband Troubleshooter - Error
There's been a problem
Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help.

I cannot reset this to go through the troubleshooter again. This is what I get even after switching the computer off and on again. Please could you let me have an email I can use to raise a fault ticket?
Thanks so much
Kelly
Hero

Did you get a login box?
Kelly Dorset
nixonis

I have logged in. Here is what happened. I was working through the troubleshooter last night. Then I got the error message. Then I finally gave up and switched off. This morning I tried again. I logged in and tried to get back to the start of the troubleshooter, but that didn't work, I just got straight back to the error message. I tried everything I could think of to get back to the start of the thing, and it doesn't work. That's why I am asking for another method to contact support. I am afraid I can't phone.
Thanks so much for the quick replies!
jagandeep1

Hi, I am also experiencing youtube issues since the start of the week. Mainly slow loading videos, buffering etc. Everything else like gaming and general browsing is fine. I am on unlimited fibre at around 51mb.
sully72
Grafter

same here youtube starting and stopping, as been like it all day...............
deathtrap
Grafter

I had the issue where a you tube video will start to stream and download a small portion ahead, but then fail to download the next bit resulting in the video stopping, having said that, i found other you tube videos played ok,  but as a test i tried one that had the option of 1080pHD and although it played all the way through without any pausing to  buffer ect, i did notice that it downloaded slower than i have seen it do on previous occasions and also it downloaded the video in several chunks at a max of 25mbps
But has been 50mbps or near line speed previously , and would download it all in one go,  this was around 6:30pm-7pm yesterday evening , i haven't experienced any issues with you tube content previously
IIRC there is a way to display the console window for diagnostics ,maybe it will shine some light on the cause? I have just checked a few  HD videos and the max it will download at is around 23mbps  and that is the first (small)chunk of data, it then downloads the rest at a lower rate, it would appear that they may of changed the way they stream content,or their CDN /s are in some way responsible,
Later and though the peak time window i watched several programs on ITV player without any related issues , so it does seem to be a you tube only issue
Looking at a tracert to the IP that was passing the data, it looks as if plusnet may peer directly
Does someone have access to a non plusnet connection preferably a FTTC/H  but adsl2+ will do if not, for comparison  of if the same problem appears on that connection or not ,and how much /fast  it downloads data ahead
As i was able to watch several programs  using itv player  during the peak time without issue,So it looks like only you tube is affected
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've seen that the latency has increased to YouTube, we've raised a problem 77304 and are currently awaiting an update on this.
Razer
Grafter

I suppose I'll add my name to the list of those experiencing problems with YT. Aside from the other issue of videos beginning with the sound muted, I have also been experiencing issues mentioned here with videos delayed in loading, stopping mid-play, not loading, and just general screwiness; these either during the night (early hours) or in the morning to around midday. All are intermittent - I personally put them down to YT who persist in tinkering with the site over all.
Kelly
Hero

Sandvine have spotted stuff: http://www.betterbroadbandblog.com/2013/09/youtubes-double-dip-in-quality/ ;
Kelly Dorset
Razer
Grafter

So according to that there's probably a peak of users (kids having come home from school, perhaps) that would account for the shit performance I've just been getting, where videos are performing so badly they are defaulting to 240 resolution because they can't load anything better. Diabolical.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Just to add my name to the list too - last couple of weeks or so, YouTube specifically refuses to load HD streams - it'll load the first few seconds and then just stop loading. The playhead will get as far as the cached portion, then just stop and refuse to budge. Doesn't happen with iPlayer or Vimeo - only YouTube - on Windows 7 64-bit and iPad 2 ios6 and now ios&. We're on 20Mb (2.5MB/s download) fibre - connection is good and stable.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Came here to check if anyone else is having issues with YouTube.
Its REALLY bad atm and some vids are buffering at all resulting in stop - start - stop - start.
Ive tried lots of different vids and seemingly are all about the same.  Video is currently streaming at anything between 0kbps and 256kbps... mostly around 56kb.. but currently at a pathetic 28kbps.
Ive watched what happens on a few vids.. I get a fractional burst speed of around 60Mbps for a second, which will fill the buffer up a little bit... then it slows right down to a crawl

Everything else seems ok. ie current BTw speedtest 73.22 Mbps down 15.87Mbps up
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Everything else seems ok. ie current BTw speedtest 73.22 Mbps down 15.87Mbps up

Dont know if its related, but straight after I made that post I got a phone call from someone whom I set up with PN adsl asking if I was having a problem with toshiba places, because it wasnt streaming.
In case you arent aware Toshiba places is what Toshiba Smart TV's use to stream video content such as i-player, youtube etc over your dsl connection.      
Ive just tried it on my TV and nothing will stream for me either.   It was working ok at the weekend.