Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ADSL2+ still on trial at BT?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is ADSL2+ still on trial at BT?

Is ADSL2+ still on BT  trial or is it  just PlusNet trialing it?
The reason I ask is several weeks after moving to ADSL2+ it still seems to be in some sort of experimenting mode. For a week or more I had a stable connection of 126147 with few errors and a SNR of 6/7. This morning I notice I had resyned over night at 152277 with loads of errors and a SNR of 5. On rebooting  I have again synced at 150432, with I suspect high errors.
Is there any feed back on customer experience being fed back to BT and is there any point customers reporting odd goings on?
26 REPLIES 26
James
Grafter

Re: Is ADSL2+ still on trial at BT?

Hi George,
For us it's a trial.  From BTs perspective it is still in the early days, but we are feeding back customer experience to them to allow them to look into the feedback that we are getting to see if there are any improvements that they are making.
There's certainly no harm in joining our trial if you would like to do so.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Please could BT invent SRA?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

glloyd
Rising Star

See above comments - I'm already on the trial.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Please could BT invent SRA?

Some people invented SRA close to 10 years ago ... it will take a little while for BT to realise it is a good thing! Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mav
Fixes: 514

Perhaps an on-line feedback/questionaire would be a good idea?
The results/reviews could be shown for all trialers and potential trialers to see. Probably a lot of work involved but is it a possibility?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

James
Grafter

That's certainly something that we could set up for our own customers.
Good idea Smiley
scootie
Grafter

you might want to go to court to get an order that bans me from leaving feedback tho jameseh Wink
at the moment my gain / lose of thoughput on adsl2 comapred to adsl stands at this moment at minus 504kbps
sure you all know that i would perfer my adsl equimpment at the exchange with max preminum for better upload sync than i have at this moment and my 500kbps downspeed back. plus nice and stable
line
bt's new equmpiment just dosent seem to suit long lines its not case of no improvment its case of it robbing speed of us that we had very little of before
glloyd
Rising Star

From what I can see the training never stops. I had a stable connection for weeks around 12 meg then it jumped to 14 Meg with loads of errors for a day or so. Then back to 12 Meg, again stable. Then to 15 Meg with loads of errors, now it's back to 12 Meg. I've had 29 re syncs so far and not one of them has been at the same speed twice.
What ever BT is using to run ADSL2+ seems very iffy and should not take weeks and umpteen re syncs to decide what I line can handle
James
Grafter

Technically the training doesn't stop - but the timescales increase upto a maximum of (I think) 49 days.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What kind of communication system requires 49 days (and nights) to stabilize?
A very rubbish one?
It's OK to deal with situations where Moses goes off into the wilderness for religious purposes.
But it isn't really applicable for most people.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: Jameseh
Technically the training doesn't stop - but the timescales increase upto a maximum of (I think) 49 days.

Those two statements, to me, seem to contradict themselves.
But will things change when the trials are over bringing a more realistic training period ?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

scootie
Grafter

I believe it will be the same after the trial as the equipment in the exchances isnt actual on trial by BTw.
The trial is ony pn seeing how to work with the new 21cn centrals ect and how they are going to be able to manage the extra traffic that will be on the network, falut process, blah blah blah
Basically PN have no control over how BTw setup the msan's including the ever on going training period's if they did i am sure PN would make BTw use Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA)
James
Grafter

It's not as stupid and contradictory as it sounds.
You sit on a speed for 3 days.  If it stays stable, it'll try the next step up.  If that's not stable, it'll revert to the last stable speed.  If that is stable for 6 days it'll try again, and so on.
That's my understanding of it anyhow.
glloyd
Rising Star

But it's not trying the next step up unless you call 12meg to 14 or 15 meg the next step up.  One jump was from around 12meg to 15meg then back to 12 meg again. I've kept a not of all my sync speeds and there is no pattern.
For instance I could reboot and get one speed, reboot again ten minutes later and get a faster or slower speed with the same SNR and ATT.