After speaking to techincal support they have aaked me todo a wireshark capture
Can you please help me do this
Thank you
23 REPLIES 23
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Iptv buffering

Instructions for doing a Wireshark capture can be found in support library article Using Wireshark for Data Capture. Note that you need to start the capture before you initiate data transfer and should stop after 10 seconds to avoid the .pcap capture file becoming too large.
David
Ahmed178
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for the reply
i watched the video downloaded wireshark what i dont understand is how would i capture the iptv?
i am sorry but i am totally lost here, i dont know what exactly i need to do, it says to go to plus.net as an example but i dont know what todo in my situation i want to know how to prioritise my iptv reciever to give it fulll access.
can someone please help
spraxyt
Resting Legend

First you need to download and install Wireshark (and the included WinPcap) on your computer. You can get its Windows installer file from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html - just click the link to open that page in your browser and click the link on the page for your operating system to download the installer file.
Double-click the downloaded file and answer the questions to install Wireshark. The default answers should be OK.
Then click the link to the instruction guide I posted earlier and follow those instructions to create a capture file. The instructions include and explain the notes I mentioned.
The guide also provides instructions for interpreting the output and for attaching it to a ticket for submission to Plusnet.
David
Ahmed178
Dabbler

thanks once again and sorry to be a pain,
i have downloaded this wireshark thing but i dont know what else i need to do next i did watch the video and i sort of understand it a little now, but what is it that i am capturing?
am having problem with my iptv box it keeps burffering and i want it to work during peaktime,
i would really appreciate your help by taking me through this step by step.
thanks once more
Ahmed178
Dabbler

am getting this message everytime i do a capture
No packets captured!
As no data was captured, closing the temporary capture file!

Help about capturing can be found at:
      http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup
Wireless (Wi-Fi/WLAN):
Try to switch off promiscuous mode in the Capture Options
spraxyt
Resting Legend

What you are trying to do is capture data from the internet that is going to your IPTV box. I think the problem here is that the box is connected directly to your router so the network card in your PC will not be seeing that traffic. Is the IPTV box connected to the router using a wired or wireless connection?
David
Ahmed178
Dabbler

My iptv box is connected to my router using a wire direct to the router and the iptv box
It stops working from 5 to 12 night
Do you know what else i neef todo thx?
godsell4
Rising Star

You need to contact PN and arrange a time and date for PN to monitor your broadband connection while you start your IPTV service, then they can see if the PN equipment is correctly seeing the IPTV data.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Ahmed178
Dabbler

Sorry whos PN?
Thx
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Okay, you have been getting some confusing advice so far.  But PN is quite easy to guess - they're your ISP PlusNet.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Ahmed178,
Your setup is one of the more complex (yet ever more common) setups with IPTV that is much harder to capture.
Unfortunately, we will be unable to perform the data capture for you, only verify correct or incorrect categories. This is generally of no value as it sounds from your experience that either it is incorrectly categorised, or something more serious is afoot. Checks we perform can only review one of these two, and even then it can be used to fix it.
Some of the standard questions we need for this.
What IPTV product are you currently using?
As some IPTV systems may use services from other providers (i.e it simply displays others companies streams like iPlayer), can you advise if you have checked a good selection of available streams?
If so, do any of these produce any for of different results?
Once I we know these, we will be able to provide either some further checks or give you an indication of what can be done to check this further.
Ahmed178
Dabbler

I am not very sure but when i called tech support yeaterday they said that something is showing as other on my intetnet
Traffic which isnt prioritised and thats why it starta cutting from 5 aftrrnoon until midnight
Thry said we need to put it in the right category for it to work as it dose during day time
I was adviced to creat a post here as the tech team cant do anyhing without u contacting them
My IT skills arent good but i can follow simple
Instructions if needs to be
Plz help me fix this issue asap
When i waa on the 60gb usuage it was working fine its only once i
Changes to unlimited usuage it started playing up
As i was told you put restrictions
From ur end at some usuage which is why am having problems
Thx
Ahmed178
Dabbler

This is the box that i have
BEST TV - SUBSCRIPTION FREE ARAB IP TV SERVICE INCLUDING SET TOP BOX FROM IPWOW
MediaBox Requirements:
Broadband connection (recommended 2Mbps download speed or better)
TV set with either Scart, component, HDMI or composite a/v inputs
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Ahmed178,
I have been unable to find much information related to the Best TV unit, other than it is supplied via the IPWOW service. As such, we cannot see where the traffic is coming from, just using public information.
However, I note your comments that this was working fine whilst you were on the Extra package before moving to our legacy Unlimited product.
This would appear to be the cause and without being able to obtain more specific information from the packet capture to provide proof, this looks to be correct.
Due to the way may of those services work, they are marked as coming from Download Servers. The unlimited product has rate restrictions in this area that Extra does not, which could be causing your problems.
The rate restrictions in place though occur before 5pm or after 5pm, as well as stopping before midnight. Can you confirm if you are ever able to use the service between 5 & 6pm, or between 11pm and midnight?
http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php