cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iplayer on Wii.

Peelies

Re: Iplayer on Wii.

Unable to test this yet, but I live in hope.
Assuming that the problem does get fixed, is it only for the BBCiPlayer on the Wii?  The reason for bringing this up is because the iPlayer is going to be on Freesat players (that have Lan connections) in the new year. My free sat box is connected to the net and ready for launch  Cheesy
minicat

Still buffering every 35 seconds for me (same as before).
No cigar, I'm afraid.
Merry Christmas,
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Peelies
Assuming that the problem does get fixed, is it only for the BBCiPlayer on the Wii?

AFAIK it's only designed to pick up Wii iPlayer traffic.
The reason for bringing this up is because the iPlayer is going to be on Freesat players (that have Lan connections) in the new year. My free sat box is connected to the net and ready for launch  Cheesy

Let us know in if you're having problems in the New Year and we'll look into it.
Quote from: minicat
Still buffering every 35 seconds for me (same as before).
No cigar, I'm afraid.

I reckon this might have been our last opportunity to fix things this side of Christmas Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

theyat

No the actual playing still buffers every 10-20 seconds or so, totally unwatchable.
pentwyn
Grafter

The Wii does seem to be generally pretty poor at handling the overheads of the streaming protocol(s) used - as shown by the various posted iPlayer diagnostic results. I don't know if that's due to a poorly optimised protocol stack, or lack of CPU grunt, or something else.
In my particular case, the line syncs at just over 2Mb, giving an IP profile of 1750Kbps.
Using the iPlayer diagnostic test page, the Wii gives a download figure of 1500-1600, which is pretty much line speed.
On the streaming tests, however, it's about half that - usually 700-800Kbps. (PCs give a result near line speed)
With that sort of throughput, I would expect some occasional buffering when streaming 800Kbps-ish video....... which is what I'm seeing.
At the moment, I think it's as good as I can expect - given my fairly long ADSL line.
Thanks Plusnet for your continuing efforts!....
speninem

Hi
Came across this thread whilst looking for solutions to same problem ( see http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?p=188007  - hadn't realised before tonight that this is apparently a Plusnet specific issue - like others above, I changed my broadband package specifically after downloading and trying out the Wii I Player in November - at that time it worked flawlessly over several nights - so I changed my package to increase usage allowance.
Didn't then go back to Wii I player until new allowance kicked in on 1 December, and since then have been unable to use the Wii i player due to constant buffering every minute or so, making it's use impossible.  Running i player on my laptop however (using same wireless broadband router/modem) has never showed any buffering.  I get download speeds of in excess of 6MB and upload of 380 consistently, and have found Plus's customer service so good I have now changed by work broadband to plus and recommended it to both my parents who are now on plus also.
Continue to find Plus's service excellent, and pleased to see this is being looked into as a 'known' issue - at least I can stop wondering why the Wii I player buffers all the time, and yet I get excellent download speeds as noted above.
I would appreciate it if this could be fixed, as I was really looking forward to using the Wii i player on a regular basis.....I've only just registered for this forum to add this note, and I've clicked the 'notify of answers to this post' button so hopefully I'll pick up on when this is fixed, but if anyone could update in meantime would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance......
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum speninem.
As you can see from earlier posts in this thread a fix was rolled out. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been completely successful.
Therefore a fresh look at the problem will be attempted in the new year.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Peelies

Finaly managed to test the iPlayer on my Wii again and can confirm that it is still buffering every 20 to 30 seconds.
Thanks to the tech team for their continued help in attempting to solve this problem.
Happy new year.
speninem

Peelies, and also for info of Plus tech team
Just tested on Freesat i player (beta version) and working just fine!  Not thoroughly tested, but watched a couple of programmes on high quality (which presumably require higher bandwidth) and no noticeable buffering as yet!
Regards

Mugglestoned

Still the same prob. for me too. Buffering frequently.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

What time of day do the problems happen? Is it just in the evening? Would be very useful if someone could try it out sometime between 2am and midday and midday to 4pm if possible to see if the same problems happen overnight or the morning or in the afternoon.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Peelies

Thanks to Speninem I am now using the Freesat BBC iPlayer and it works perfectly on HD.  It is only in Beta but absolutely no problem encountered with it, no buffering delay or any other delay so I will use this instead of my Wii.
Dave
I've tried using the Wii BBCi Player at 8.30 in the morning, afternoon and late evening and it still buffers.
Happy new year to you all.
Mugglestoned

buffering happens at all times during the day
theyat

Have tried it at various times of the day (including those times) and it still buffers every 20 seconds or so.
davebiffuk
Grafter

iPlayer on Wii was fine for me over the holiday period except for trying to watch Dr Who part 2 late on New Year's Day and the following afternoon. I mentioned this on the BBC forum - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F13735683?thread=7191398 - but got the brush-off rather, being told it was due to my ISP's traffic shaping. Did something change around 1st January? Was there a problem which has since been fixed?
Cheers,
Dave