Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad connection questions

mathewlisett
Grafter

Ipad connection questions

"iPad with Retina Display Wi-Fi Cellular"

right folks, anybody here either own one or know enough to advice me  from my questions.with the cellular feature, does this allow the user to make calls via the ipad?.
am i able to have the internet connection go through the router from its wifi conneciton?or do i need to suffer the data bills.
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Ipad connection questions

Quote from: mathewlisett
am i able to have the internet connection go through the router from its wifi conneciton?

Yes.
An iPad does not function like a regular mobile phone (an iPhone, for example).  However you can make calls via Skype or similar.    
mathewlisett
Grafter

so if this is possible, is there a need for a data sim card, and would we be charged for the data usage if its going through the router.
if i remember, and i dont know if it applies to the ipad. But wasnt there a BT ad that stated anybody with a  bt account could go online ANYWHERE simply with their log in details without incurring any extra charges.  does this apply to the ipad  aswell?
Grff
Grafter

Your ipad will favour Wireless over 3G if it's connected to a wireless device.
I don't know if it will natively route phone calls over the net, but you can use apps like Skype to place phone calls over your wireless/3g.
Grff
Grafter

Re the BT, I think you're thinking of BT broadband, and connecting to other peoples BT wireless routers as you move around.
http://www.btfon.com/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: mathewlisett
But wasnt there a BT ad that stated anybody with a  bt account could go online ANYWHERE simply with their log in details without incurring any extra charges. 

If you were a BT customer, you could set yourself up to get free wi-fi access through virtually any Home Hub if you were in wi-fi range of one.
mathewlisett
Grafter

Quote from: Griff
Your ipad will favour Wireless over 3G if it's connected to a wireless device.
I don't know if it will natively route phone calls over the net, but you can use apps like Skype to place phone calls over your wireless/3g.

I take it skype for phone calls isnt free in the UK?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Skype to Skype is free (over the internet), Skype to Mobile or land line phone is charged, but very cheap.
Dan.
mathewlisett
Grafter

Quote from: Grumpy
Skype to Skype is free (over the internet), Skype to Mobile or land line phone is charged, but very cheap.
Dan.

so if somebody had skype on their smart phone, would that be the same thing? or would there be a seperate number, and im guessing if the skype is via the smart phone, the "messages" would be free aswell.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Skype requires a data connection.  The cost of a Skype-to-Skype call, incoming or outgoing, is the cost of the data connection.  If you have a smart phone and you use it to make or receive a Skype call then the cost of the call is the cost of that data connection.
With Skype-to-Skype you call the person, not the number.
Unlike in North America, in the UK there is no charge to receive a regular incoming call on a mobile (cellular) telephone.

mathewlisett
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Skype requires a data connection.  The cost of a Skype-to-Skype call, incoming or outgoing, is the cost of the data connection.  If you have a smart phone and you use it to make or receive a Skype call then the cost of the call is the cost of that data connection.
With Skype-to-Skype you call the person, not the number.
Unlike in North America, in the UK there is no charge to receive a regular incoming call on a mobile (cellular) telephone.

ok maybe im a bit confused due to ym dyslexia or you and others have misread (or i have mis worded) what i have said.
the smart phone would be as in a connection to them, such as a family member not living wth us.
so doing skype on the ipad with us to their smart phone, would this incur charges our end, their end of be free since it was stated skype to skype was free?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Skype to Skype is free.
However using Skype on your iPad when connected via your home WiFi will use up some of your download limit of your internet connection.
I use Skype all the time from a PC or iPad to speak to my family and it cost me nothing.
Dan.
mathewlisett
Grafter

right, so basically anything operated on the ipad, whether its skype or the net, is used just like another computer on the network
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Exactly that yes Smiley