Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Internet

Since I had two long term intermittent faults cleared from my home phone line the ADSL performance has been rock solid - speeds up to ~18 - 19 Mbps. SNR ~3 dB. And it just keeps going, day after day.

But recently I find I am having to manually restart my router (Technicolor TG582n) every few days as, while the DSL link and WiFi still seems solid, and logging on to the router does not indicate any loss of connection, the Internet connection seems to have ceased effective operation. Anyone else having this problem recently?

3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Internet

@pvmb

This could be a known issue with the TG582n called WANDownSpoofing .

This message from Bob Pullen (Plusnet guru) may help https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/198-18-1-x-address-problems/m-p/1374877#M309074 which says

IIRC, after the last FTTC firmware upgrade we pushed out, we did globally disable the WAN spoofing across the units we'd upgraded. Not all of these will have been successful though due to routers being offline at the time etc.

There will still be some units affected and for anyone impacted, I would suggest they carry out the previously discussed 'fix' of telnetting to the router and doing:

: dns server config WANDownSpoofing=disabled
: saveall

Whilst I can't be 100% sure, I remain somewhat doubtful that we'll see any firmware upgrades for this unit from here on in.

For a slightly more verbose help from https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/technicolor-tg582n-router-update/m-p/1297858#M301810

If you are both familiar with Telnet - which you may need to activate first - then you telnet into the TG582n as follows -
Open a cmd window and then type the following
Telnet 192.168.1.254
when prompted for the username it's   admin   (all lower case) then the password which is the serial number beginning  CP...
At the telnet prompt, type
dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
saveall
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
exit
The last two dns commands are to clear and check the cache is clear of spoofed addresses.
If you aren't familiar with Telnet and need more advice, please ask.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks SpendLessTime.

A lot to look at, I will investigate. Strange that I have only noticed this happening recently though.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Well it is worth the effect as it does seem to happen still with these devices even if it has been known for a few years.it will not do any harm anyway so at least you will be one step closer to the problem if it doesn't solve it.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT