cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet traffic Overheads

jbryant61

Internet traffic Overheads

Hello. I have just become a plusnet customer and was pleased with the 10G allowance. However, I've notice that when I let my PC sit idle and using a basic  traffic monitor (NETWORX) , that there seems to be a lot of internet traffic.  I think one of the culprits is SKYPE, when its open its the largest contributer of traffic.  I left my PC on for about 4 hours and I had accumulated about 400MB of internet traffic.  This is not good news.  Can anyone give me some advice to reduce my internet traffic overheads when Im not actually browsing.  I notice I have a lot of services active.   
Can anyone also comment on whether I should use "Chrome" rather than internet explorer to reduce the overheads?
Thnaks for any advice
Jason
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Internet traffic Overheads

welcome to the forum
Do you need to leave Skype running?,
I have two people using my value connection and count it as a bad day if it goes over 250M during the paid period
Its free between midnight and 8 am, all use during that time doesnt come off your 10G
jbryant61

I would like to leave skype on, but can log out and log in occasionally. there is also a lot of other internet traffic, especially "receiving".  I've noticed that Skype on my android phone is always on (not using my home wifi!) and it uses far less.    I was wondering if there were any free software that could identify the main internet traffic use.  Also when I view a webpage, my usage increase by around 50MB.  Quite large I though.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@jbryant61
I'd have thought that networx would have done that for you. Otherwise Wireshark is a bit more in depth so you might want to give that a try.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

The reason that Skype use some much traffic is
Unlike other VoIP services, Skype is a peer-to-peer system rather than a client–server system, and makes use of background processing on computers running Skype software; the original name proposed – Sky peer-to-peer – reflects this.
scootie
Grafter

the free netlimiter 2 mon version shows the usage breakdown http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php