cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet stopped working

Dianex2001

Internet stopped working

My dads internet has not worked for a few days now. We have changed the microfilter, & plugged it directly into the phone socket, and he is sill not getting internet. The broadband light is still on, (steady blue) but not the internet light. The phone line, through BT works too, so am I right in thinking it must be the internet service?

7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Internet stopped working

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Have you tried disconnecting everything and plugging the router into the test socket?

You didn't mention if you use wired or wireless, ideally plug something into wired to rule out wireless being the problem.

Hopefully a PlusNet member of staff may pick this up and they can do some tests their side. My thinking at the moment it could be a line fault or a faulty router, but PlusNet are best to advise you on that.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Dianex2001, welcome to the community forums.

From what you describe, it sounds like an authentication issue, however I've just tested the connection and I'm not seeing any sync to the router at all.

Basically, from the lights your seeing it sounds like the login details aren't being recognised, but from testing I'm not even seeing your router at the end of the line. Think of it as no dial tone to the router.

Have you got the router switched off at present as this might explain why?

If you have, can you turn it on and let us know, we'll need it running so we can test the complete circuit.

If it is on, then our next step is to look at booking an engineer. I can see you've raised a fault HERE, and I've dropped you a reply with a request to proceed. When you reply to the ticket, can you let us know here on the forums and we'll pick up the request.

Dianex2001

Thank you for your reply.  The problem, I have is, my father is 100 miles from me, so I have to reply to him.  Last night when we tried the first few things, he said that when he put it all back again ( microfilter etc, the power & broasdband lights were on. I have just called him &  Now he says that no lights are lit.  I have confirmed that the socket is switched on at the wall, and it is plugged in to the router. I think I need to travel down there, and try myself, and call or comment further here, if it still does not work.  It is a wireless connection.  thank you for your comments. Thank you for testing the line

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No problem @Dianex2001

Id highly recommend double checking things over in the following troubleshooting

Its also worth asking your Dad to try test socket as @Alex mentioned above: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

It's definitely not a wireless connectivity issue as we'd see the line is connected. In this case there's nothing coming through.

If you want to proceed with an engineer just respond to the ticket when your or your dad is ready and let us know here on the forums.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Also @Dianex2001 I would check for any noise on the line, just to rule that out.

Dial 17070 from a landline, and do an option 2 quiet line test. Will only take a few minutes.

I've had noise on my line and had to call an engineer out and it was only through these forums I knew about that test which I have done before.

Dianex2001

Thank you for your reply Alex. I will get my dad to do that. I have spoken directly to plusnet, & they are going to send a new router out.  It seems my dad has had his router since 2009. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for the update @Dianex2001 

Let us know if this helps and if there is anything we can do moving forward. 

All the best, 

MoR