Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed normal, but gaming is impossible

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Internet speed normal, but gaming is impossible

I also think it might be a good idea to start monitoring your SNRM to see if it is showing up Interference or whether this is something completely different.
Have a go with RouterStatsLite (RSL). The full version is quite complicated to setup effectively and RSL is a lot easier for beginners.
I posted some setup guidance for another user in this post. If you follow the same guidance except leave your Connection Speed axis setting on Automatic (as you have a higher sync speed).
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
Thank you so much for your replies!
I can confirm that my Ethernet PC is the only device connected all other devices are off at the wall, including the TV. I also do not have Avast, just Microsoft Defender.
I'll have a look at this RSL today, along with your instructions, and post back asap.
Many thanks again!
Anotherone
Champion

Well done. Obviously no rush,  respond when convenient. As I expect you appreciate, this is going to be a case of trying to see exactly how your connection is being affected and eliminating any possibilities that can be eliminated.
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
I've collected some data, namely, real data that was captured when the issue happened! Hurrah. What would you like me to post? Would you like me to capture any more?
I started this RSL capture whilst the problem was happening (namely, no devices would connect to the internet (although, oddly, I could send Google Hangout messages on my phone which was connected to me WiFi and not its data)). One laptop, one phone, one Wii U (all on WiFi), and one PC (Ethernet) could not browse the Internet during this time. (Please note: this issue persists with only my Desktop PC connected to the router).
Link is here to see screen capture: http://i.imgur.com/ZlWKU7i.png
You will see the noise started at 3.5. Once it jumps to 4, that was where the internet starting working again. You'll see it crashed back down to 3 all of ten minutes later. Here, the internet stopped working again until it shot back up to 4.5 another 10 minutes later. This is a pretty standard affair - internet cuts out for 10 minutes, comes back, goes out again for 10 minutes, comes back, etc.
The lights on my router whilst it was down: Broadband solid green, Internet and Ethernet flashing green.
I look forward to your response, and I will keep this graph running in the mean time!
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
Linked to another graph, a continuation of the one before, run for longer. - http://imgur.com/ESno1Ve
You will see that the noise margin went from 3 - 4.5 a couple of times. Both times, when it dropped to 3, I had no internet.
When it dropped to around 3 at 12:20, I had no internet until 13:20, when it shot up to 6.5, where it stayed for an hour before it went down again (not shown on graph).
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your help!
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Has anyone been able to look at this at PlusNet's end?
This issue has been going on for months and months 😞 .
Appreciate any help at all.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi gizmo,
sorry I've not responded sooner, been away. Are you still having the issue?
Just to recap, have you run any Quiet Line Tests when the SNRM drops just to check if you can hear any audible noise?
The changes on the graphs do look like some sort of interference, but they could possibly be cross-talk from someone else's faulty line.
I know you are running things by ethernet cable, but out of curiosity if you are running RSL on the desktop, try running it on your laptop with your desktop unplugged from the mains when the SNRM drops, just to eliminate anything untoward on the PC (and/or visa-versa if it's the other way round).
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
Issue is still present. Plusnet turned on interleaving, but this has not helped, and only affected my pings when the internet works!
I have looked up Quiet Line Tests and it seems I would have to plug in my phone to the test socket. The router is currently plugged in to the test socket to eliminate socket issues. As there is only one test socket, should I disconnect the router from the test socket when it happens, then plug the phone in?
I will have to try RSL on my laptop.
In the mean time, I don't know if it helps, but the internet now consistently drops every evening. On top of this, upload speeds are non-existent. I am talking 0.02mbps. I have not yet confirmed if that is solely in the evening or all day. Does that point to anything in particular?
Thanks for getting back to me, and I hope you enjoyed your time away!
vicky1959
Grafter

Have same problem as Gizmo[well partner is and daughter] gaming for them is barely playable, he has tracert some of the servers they play on hops all fine constant both UK and US, do a speedtest  and the graph is all over the place,the latency scales on Battlefield all show low,the lag and stutter is un playable, same goes for daughters steam games,this all started about 3 weeks ago for them have raised a ticket have a fine fibre 56/16 normal net surfing is fine but gaming for them is becoming impossible,have raised a ticket but will probably have to call at the weekend to get this sorted

will add this happens 24/7
Anotherone
Champion

Hi vicky1959, whilst the symptoms sound similar, I'm fairly sure that the causes are different as you are on Fibre and gizmo is on ADSL. gizmo's issue is difficult to pin down in that it's intermittent and doesn't happen all the time and appears to be due to some sort of interference, but might be some sort of line issue. If yours is 24/7, a fault of some sort should be fairly evident. If you don't appear to be getting a satisfactory response to the ticket from Plusnet, (I see you started a thread here) then add some more detail to that thread and hopefully we can see if we can point one of Plusnet's CRT members in the right direction.
Hi gizmo, the Quiet Line Test, 17070 option 2, you can dial with your phone in it's current location, I assume presently plugged into the filter that you have plugged in the test socket. If you are hearing line noise at the time you are seeing the SNRM disturbances, then the final proof it's the line would be by plugging the phone directly into the test socket. But a note of caution on how you go about this. Just pulling the modem/router out of the filter or test socket can be seen by DLM as a dropped connection. The best method would be first power down the modem/router whilst you are hearing the noise. If the noise stops, this clouds the issue a bit. At this point I would swap the filter whilst you are powered down. Continue repeating Quiet Line Tests for a short while whilst powered down, if noise appears plug directly in the test socket and repeat testing. If the line continues to be noisy, then phone in and report an intermittent noisy line whilst it is noisy and try to get the agent to confirm they can hear noise, and request that fact is logged along with it being intermittent. Obviously you need to be able to be off-line for a while whilst you carry all that out.
If however no noise appears, then power up the modem/router again. If noise appears at this point (and you've swapped the filter), I would consider trying an alternate modem/router to eliminate that as a possibility.
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone,
I went to do the quiet noise test, but it appears my phone is incompatible.... I think. When I press "2", nothing happens. I have one of those old school phones that makes a pulsing-like noise when you dial numbers, not a digital phone. Does this mean I can't do the test?
Also, I don't think the router is the problem - this started happening months ago and Plusnet sent a new router. It happens on both.
Side note: Is there any reason why our upload speed is now non-existent? We get 0.01mbps.
The Faults team has been less than helpful. They said the issue was fixed, then our internet dropped for over 30 minutes, then the next day 3 times in 1 hour. I have been sending them new information, but apparently they wait 72 hours before replying every time you give new information, which seems backwards.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes a digital phone would be best, I managed to get the Ring back test to work pulsing the line but I couldn't get option 2 to work. Can you not borrow a digital one?
Keep pursuing your ticket, this does sound ridiculous. Maybe one of the tech CRT chaps could have a look at your ticket to see what's been going on.
gizmo2501
Dabbler

ANOTHERONE, WE MAY HAVE A RESULT!!!!!!
I managed to actually be near the phone when the internet dropped. Both times the internet was down, the phone line was dead, i.e., no noise at all. Maybe one pulse when I picked up, but then nothing. It stayed dead for maybe 30 seconds each time, and then the dial tone came on and then about 1 minute or 2 later the internet was back up (trying to open a web page before then took you to the router log-in page).
Could this help us with the trouble?
Anotherone
Champion

It certainly could, some sort of intermittent fault. It might just be an intermittent break but I have my suspicions that might not be, because it doesn't quite fit the symptoms you been having previously, it could be an intermittent battery or earth fault, maybe in combination with a break. The trouble with intermittent faults is running a test at a time to catch one. I wonder if any tech CRT chaps are about,it would be worth running a test now in case it finds something. The test is intrusive, so whenever it runs you will lose Internet and Phone........now as I type, I remember you have a ticket open, so take what I've said with a pinch of salt, brain switches on, I wonder if they just happen to have run a test at that time. Check your fault ticket, results should be on there if they have. Maybe one of the CRT chaps can check upon it anyway.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: gizmo2501
. I have one of those old school phones that makes a pulsing-like noise when you dial numbers,

As usual I dont know what I am talking about but my corded phone has a switch on the bottom  P  - pulse  TB- Tone break
I think it has to be on TB  unless it is a pabx