cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed has dropped significantly.

JaM3z
Grafter

Internet speed has dropped significantly.

Unfortunately my internet speed has dropped significantly and my latency to game servers has now reached the 2000 ping mark, I followed the information in the sticky at the top of the page and it has pretty much confirmed my suspicions.
I had a problem earlier today in which my ADSL filter was rather unfortunately broken (my master phone socket is right behind the front door), to cut a long story short I was bringing my main PC back indoors just pushed the door open rather hastily (TJ07's weigh a ton) the wind caught the door also and after an almighty smash my filter was in bits on the floor, no problem ill just pop into Maplin's and pick up another filter bought it home and reconnected it all back up, so fare so good everything is working as normal.  Except now when I reconnected to the internet my router is reporting a connection speed of 1280Kb/448Kb which when I normally connect at 4280Kb/448Kb is rather slow.
I've reset my router once every hour since about 3PM and I still can’t get it to reconnect at my usual speed, in fact at one point it was reconnecting at 120Kb/448Kb.  Everytime I reconnect I run a speed test via www.speedtest.net this is my results:

I just ran a BT Speed test and got this:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 871 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
This basically confirmed my original thought that my IP Profile had been changed via BT, any suggestions on what to do to get my full speed back?  Should I be restarting my router every hour or should I just leave it and restart it again tomorrow morning?  Is there anything else I can do to get this sorted out?  Because going from 380KB/s download speed to 20KB/s-80KB/s is really rather a pain.
17 REPLIES 17
nebula
Dabbler

Re: Internet speed has dropped significantly.

I'm having the same appalling speeds:

...my profile from the BT speedtester is: 6500 Kbps so I think something else is up. I'm connected to the thn-ag2 gateway.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A) there was this problem Yesterday http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1263229377.htm
B) reconnecting after 3 pm makes your condition far worse, best is morning from about 9:00.  and dont do it too often BT will think you have a fault and drop your profile
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

JaM3z
Your current low sync speed is not caused by the IP Profile, it's the other way round, the IP Profile is set according to your lowest recent sync speed. You need to sort out why you are not syncing at your previous speeds.
The most likely reason is that following your accident, BT has raised your target noise margin and as a result you are syncing at a lower speed. Could you post the current stats reported by your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) please. If you also have the figures from before the accident that would be brilliant. It could be that there is a problem with your new filter (or the accident in some way damaged the router).
As you have the filter and router in the master socket, have you considered using a filtered face plate which maybe safer (and is certainly tidier)? It also removes the need for filters in other extension sockets.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

nebula
Those speed tests were taken at just about the worst time possible. Loads of people kick off downloads at midnight to take advantage of the free overnight usage and the system takes an absolute hammering for one or two hours.
JaM3z
Grafter

Right well ive just reset the router and reconnected, i am now getting a sync speed of 1344Kb/448Kb.  Rather unfortunatly i cant give you other details that you want because my router simpley doesnt give them to me its only a fairly old belkin.
This is a speedtest after the re-sync
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: JaM3z
my router simpley doesnt give them to me its only a fairly old belkin.

Are you sure? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php might help.
JaM3z
Grafter

Ok today i went out and bought a new router, its plugged in to the master phone socket i also bought all new filters and this is now what i get.

ADSL
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
224Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
11 20

Output power(dBm)
125 125

Attenuation(dB)
40 22
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you got other telephone extension sockets? If so can you plug the router in to the test socket inside the master socket without a telephone and post the router stats again (don't bother running the speed test - all we interested in at the moment is the downstream sync speed and noise margin). Once you've got a copy of the stats you can plug the telephone in if it is needed.
Test socket
JaM3z
Grafter

This is plugged in directly to the test socket, with no filter (i had a spare cable able to do this), i would like to point out that i could get that sync speed with everything just plugged in normal however i would take a few router restarts to get it at that sync speed.
ADSL  
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
704 448

Noise Margin
13 24

Output power(dBm)
124 137

Attenuation(dB)
42 22
EDIT:  Just moved the router back to where it normaly is, re-connected all the filters and am now getting:
ADSL 
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
736Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
13 23

Output power(dBm)
123 137

Attenuation(dB)
42 22
I'm totally baffled by this i now sync higher than if i use the master socket  Undecided
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

With attenuation of 42dB you should get speeds over 6mbps.
The higher target margin (looks like 12dB at present) would slow that a bit, but nothing like you're seeing.
This suggests something else is damaged or faulty, possibly even a broken wire? Does the phone work OK?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and he got that speed earlier, something bad today
Quote from: JaM3z

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 224Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin 11 20

Output power(dBm) 125 125

Attenuation(dB) 40 22
JaM3z
Grafter

Phones in the house work fine, no crackling or distortion etc.
I only have 1 phone plugged in to the master phone socket along with the router which is where i have the filter plugged in, the phone is a wireless base station with 4 seperate phones dotted over the house synced to the master base station.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Try double-filtering the phone, DECT units can sometimes cause problems.
They also have noise suppression, so only an old-style unpowered corded phone should be used for noise tests.
JaM3z
Grafter

This is with doulbe filtering the phone and i router restart.
ADSL 
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
704Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
13 24

Output power(dBm)
125 136

Attenuation(dB)
42 22

If i go into Member Centre > Conection Settings > High-speed Broadband this is what it tells me:

Telephone number:
   xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
   COXTIE GREEN
Estimated line speed:
   2.5 - Checked on 2009-03-10 02:16:31
Current line speed: