cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet random signal loss

ClaireS
Dabbler

Internet random signal loss

My husband works from home on a laptop belonging to his company, using a VPN connection to access their network.

They have recently switched to Skype for messaging, but the laptop randomly seems to lose connection, just for a few seconds.  So messages are lost, not sent or not received.  This happens frequently throughout the day.

We're trying to work out if the problem is with the company's network, or if our broadband or wifi is cutting out intermittently.  Is there any way I can check the cause to see if it is at our end, or rule it out?  I've tried looking at the event viewer on the router, but that doesn't seem to indicate anything. 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Internet random signal loss

Hi @ClaireS, I'm sorry to hear your husband has been having intermittent issues recently when using a new messaging platform.

I've checked your connection from this side and can see there looks to be a loop fault being detected. This very well could be causing the issues you've been seeing with the connection and we'd recommend getting to the bottom of this loop fault in hopes that the messaging resumes as normal after it's resolved.

The fault itself could either be internal or external to the property and there for we'd need you to rule a few internal factors out before we'd look to get an engineer out to investigate further. The check we'd need you to do is getting your router set up in optimal setup. This can be done by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the issue stops. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
As the issue is intermittent and we can see the loop fault being detected when testing this side, if you drop us a message when you're in the test socket set-up then we'll happily re-test from this side and look to see if the fault is still showing.

There is a chance that the loop fault detected isn't the cause of the messaging issues you've had and in which case you could do further troubleshooting to help narrow down the issue:
To rule out the wireless as the cause you could try a wired connection and see if the messages get through successfully or not.
I'd recommend trying to send some skype messages when not connected to the VPN to see if it's related to that at all.

Let us know how it goes.