cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet "NOT THERE" intermittently!!!

TheFlyingMouse
Grafter

Internet "NOT THERE" intermittently!!!

I had this trouble with TalkTalk, it was one of the reasons I came to PlusNet. Tonight I find it is back and it is much worse. I refer to the internet "not being there". You know at what speed things happen on your screen when you click your mouse or keyboard. Tonight I am watching a Youtube video of mining machinery and it stalls, I am aware that there are gaps in download speeds due to oversubscription of servers, sometimes this can be a couple of minutes. So I would do a speed check, I have a desktop and laptop, both connected to the router by cable. My first attempt came back with; dwnld = 70.5Mbps.  upld = 15.95Mbps.  ping 81ms. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing happening on the other device, so I try again. dwnld = 0, YES = ZERO!!! I waited 5 minutes, I timed the wait then gave up and tried yet again.  Again,  dwnld = 0Mbps, waited about 45 secs for the upld to start,  upld = 12.56Mbps,  ping = 108ms.  Again,  dwnld = 0Mbps, again waited about 45 secs  upld = 14.14Mbps, ping = 77ms.
So I connect to PlusNet, almost instantaneous, great, back to normal, so tried to put in username and password, this time I got the dreaded little circle rotating, denoting that my computer is waiting for an ack so it can send the info again. At the finish I got sick of waiting, disconnected, reconnected and finally I have the service normal at the time I am composing this post.
I do not class myself as an expert at all, but I have had the setup at home for the best part of 4.5 years, I know all about the sensible checks you make on your system if there is a perceived problem. Please understand, I am not complaining about speed, in fact PlusNet speed is wonderful. However, in this instance the internet was not there but neither was the speed.  In the 7 years I was with TalkTalk I had many an argument with them but NEVER saw a zero download speed.  We all know that from time to time the internet stutters because of oversubscription, overload, server overburden etc. However, this does not explain how the internet is perceived to be "NOT THERE" for many, many minutes at a time.
Thank you,
regards,
TheFlyingMouse.
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet "NOT THERE" intermittently!!!

Hi TheFlyingMouse,
That sounds a bit grim.  Which router have you got please?  If it the 2704n my suggestion that a TBB BQM might be helpful here will be a non-starter.
TBB BQMs are useful for helping end users monitor exchange congestion, but the 2704n does not support that approach.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 162

I've just tested the line and can't see any obvious issues, unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get a RADIUS connection log for your account at the moment so can't post up the graph.
If you have issues again can you run through https://faults.plus.net please
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
TheFlyingMouse
Grafter

Please may I thank "Townman" and "Chris" for your replies. Firstly, it is indeed a 2704n router, but sorry, TBB BQM, I have no idea to what you refer, neither to the RADIUS connection log. I used to be a maintenance engineer at a coal mine in Northumberland and I am aware of the evil in the word "intermittent". For the vast majority of the time there is no problem with the internet connection, in fact in most instances, when the problem manifests itself, a speed check reveals no decrease in speed. However, last evening, as I said in my post, I have never done a speed check and revealed a zero download speed. We are all used to using our computer equipment and are conscious of the speed at which things take place when giving a command, either mouse click or keyboard key press. We all know that, at times things stall for small amounts of time, but invariably start up again. However, I refer to waiting over 5 minutes of time waiting for something to happen, with my last ISP I once waited for 23 minutes before the internet sprang into life again. I am aware of server and website outages, I believe, last year, Yahoo had a great deal of trouble with an undersea cable fault. That I can understand, but no ISP information to the contrary, no website or server outage, but the internet is simply "not there" for finite lengths of time. I have an idea as to why and how this happens but I doubt that we will ever find out.
Thank you,
regards,
TheFlyingMouse.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 25

Hi TFM,
I did not explain what a TBB BQM is as until I determined which router you have, it is a "hiding to nothing" idea.  For interest you can see some examples here - http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
The show how responsive your link is.  Poor responsiveness shows are red, yellow and blue spikes, each has meaning (which I'll not bother you with) indicating the operational quality through the day.  Red means that the router could not be reached at that time.  A flat green plot is an indication of no exchange congestion, spikes might suggest that the local exchange has capacity issues.
Given that you have a 2704n router, we cannot use this diagnostic tool.
The VISUAL RADIUS plot is a means of showing day by day when (if) your link to PlusNet disconnected.  Note that a disconnect event is not necessarily a failure event.  VR plots are generated by PlusNet and often made available on request.
HTH?