Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet light solid red on TG582n - unhappy with response from CS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Internet light solid red on TG582n - unhappy with response from CS

Hi there
Sorry to be a pain on Christmas eve, but...  On two occasions in the last week or so I have noticed that the internet light on my PlusNet supplied modem has been solid red - although I have still had a functioning internet connection.  On the first occasion my connection dropped shortly afterwards and when the connection was re-established the internet light was green again.  On the second occasion, I ended the PPP session and then reconnected - again the internet light was back to being green.  I am aware that this issue has been raised before on the forum - indeed Chris Purvey said in October 2012 that it was being investigated, though I can find no mention of the results of that investigation...
I have just telephoned support, who were not altogether supportive, suggesting first that if it happens again I should ring while it is red, then simply that it is not a problem.  Am I alone in thinking that it IS a problem?  To my mind either there is a fault with my connection, or there is a fault with the router - in either case I would have hoped for a rather more constructive response from customer support...
I know they are all very busy, but I would be grateful to hear from someone from the digital care team with any update as to the cause of this problem, and an indication as to whether I would be wise to request a replacement router...
many thanks, and Happy Christmas
A
5 REPLIES 5
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Internet light solid red on TG582n - unhappy with response from CS

Hi,
A red Internet light normally means the PPP connection has failed (wrong username or password) or dropped. The other reason is that the router has detected an error in the LCP connection, the connection could still be up as you've seen but something has generated an error (which is probably why the first time you noticed the connection dropped).
If it doesn't happen again then it's probably nothing to worry about, but I would reboot the router now if you haven't already. If it does happen again then yeah there could be a fault on the connection, it's likely that it's some kind of noise or packet loss which has caused an error in the LCP layer resulting in the router indicating the error with the red light.
I've run a check on your line and it doesn't show any obvious faults but there are few errors which seem to be worst on 19th and 22nd December but there could be enough for the LCP keep alive packets to get dropped but not enough for you to notice a problem.
My suggestion would be to keep an eye on it and if it does keep happening then we can enable interleaving on your line which is a form of error correction and see if that helps as it may correct the errors in the LCP layer.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dave
Thanks for the speedy reply.  My connection went down at about 14:48, but that was just before your reply, so I guess it may have been related to you running a check on my line?
I have now done a factory reset on the router, and will keep an eye on things - will let you know if it happens again.
Cheers
A
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
Once again I have a red internet light showing on my router - although I still seem to have a good connection to the internet.
Please could someone from the DCT pick this up and suggest what might be going on and what I might do - I am reluctant to ask for interleaving to be enabled in case it slows my connection down, and I am not sure there's a vast number of errors on my connection (see details from router below).
Thanks
Alan
Uptime: 1 day, 22:11:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 967 / 6.411
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 240,22 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,7 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,4 / 41,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,2 / 6,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1.033 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 710 / 1.247
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 391 / 2.559
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Having had exactly the same symptoms which was fixed by a PPP disconnect then reconnect even though the internet was working fine I suggest just ignoring it as it seems to be a glitch with these routers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Oldjim - yes, I have seen a couple of other threads from a while ago suggesting it can be ignored.  My concern is that the last couple of times this has happened it was followed a little while later by my connection dropping, suggesting (to me who knows nothing about these things...) that it might be more than the known-about glitch...