cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping

Caz55

Internet keeps dropping

The internet and wi-fi lights on my router are continuously blinking. Are they supposed to do this? My connection seems to drop just about every time I try to open a new page. I have a 2704n router and a BT dual band wi-fi 600 dongle. Are they worth replacing to see if that improves it? I am also about 4 miles away from the exchange if that makes any difference

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Internet keeps dropping

Hi there.

It's normal for the internet and Wi-Fi lights to flash on your router. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal coming into your router with no drops for the past 5 days.

Are you able to connect your laptop into the router using an ethernet cable to narrow down where the issue may lie?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Caz55

Hi Gandalf

I only have a desktop computer which is too far away from the router for an ethernet cable. Could it be the wi-fi adapter? When it won't load anything I click on the internet access on the computer it says no internet. That happens all day long.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Caz55

It could be the dongle or just wifi interference in general. Do you have any wifi devices that don't use the dongle so that you can compare?

Have you had the opportunity to try the wifi troubleshooting here?

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

Caz55

Hi Dave

Thanks for your help.

No I dont have any other devices to check with. The router is plugged into the master socket with an ethernet cable. It is in the kitchen, but it is at the door and not near any appliances etc. The setting is on auto channel and when I checked it is on channel 1 and there are no other networks near me. I used to be with BT up to October last year, and while it was not great, it was never this bad. I just presumed it would be exactly the same with Plusnet. Is there any point in trying a more powerful wi-fi adapter, if there is such a thing?  

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Rather than look at buying new equipment I'd follow the advice shown here next: https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu in particular I recommend using an app like WiFi Analyzer to find the bets available channel to manually set the router to. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team