cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping

Maria77

Internet keeps dropping

For the last few days now, my internet connection keeps dropping off. It’s just for a couple of minutes at a time, but it means that my Amazon Echo stops playing music, any TV that I’m streaming gets interrupted, and I have to switch over to data on my phone, so it’s driving me mad.

On the router, the internet light will go off, but WiFi/broadband/power stay lit.

I do get a crackly telephone line, but I’ve always had that problem (and I think it might be the cordless handset). This internet-dropping is a new thing.

Please help!
11 REPLIES 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Internet keeps dropping

I would report a voice fault.

Try dialling 17070 and take option 2 ("quiet-line test")

You should hear silence.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

To follow from @VileReynards suggestion, if you can get another phone, try that as well.

John
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Maria77

If you do get a new phone (or borrow one), try to get a corded phone as the cordless ones don't give a true picture of the line quality.

For £6 you can pick one up at Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just tested your line and everything looks fine. I can see a stable 4+day connection too. 

Give us a shout if you're still noticing any issues though. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Maria77

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Glad to know the line is ok. It’s still happening - it’s happening right now in fact! On the router, the internet light is off, the WiFi light is rapidly flickering, and the broadband light alternates between a slower flicker and being steady. The power light is always steady.

When it comes back on, all the lights will be steady. Does that mean it’s a problem with the router?
jab1
Legend

@Maria77 I would still suspect an intermittent phone fault.

John
Maria77

How would I go about getting that fixed?
jab1
Legend

First things first - have you followed the suggestions in posts 2/3/4 above, with the phone (only) connected directly in to the phone test socket?

Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable, rather than relying on wifi?

John
jab1
Legend

Notice the OP has been around today, but not bothered replying here, so I'll assume it's fixed and remove this thread from my watch list.

John
Maria77

I haven’t been around today! I’ve not checked the thread in ages, but I just got an email notification about that message. I did keep the page open on the browser on my phone, so I could find it again - maybe that makes it look like I’m constantly browsing the site?
I haven’t had chance to go and buy a new phone and an Ethernet cable yet unfortunately.
Apologies if you thought I was ignoring you. I didn’t realise there were watch lists or anything like that; I’ve never used this forum before. Thank you for your help.
jab1
Legend

OK @Maria77, my apologies too for doubting you, but yes leaving a page open does make it appear you are still viewing - unless you log out of the forum.

No problem - I'll re-subscribe and wait until you have had chance to complete the checks,

John