Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps Dropping

Chemicalman
Dabbler

Internet keeps Dropping

Please Help,
3 months ago this problem appeared,
and now its reared its ugly head again all has been well until 5 days ago when out of the blue my connection had dropped, and i have to go through the laborious task of having to reconnect to get on line only for the connection to drop within a few minutes. Nothing has changed to my computer nothing added or taken away, my noise margin seems to be the problem, it was about 6.5dB TO 7.OdB now its down to 4.5dB down and up 9.0dB.
I also note that my line rate has dropped from 5632kbps to 4000 up down 448 i am using the Voyager 210 plugged directly in to the BT master socket directly behind my computer, nothing El's is connected to this socket it is a dedicated socket just for the computer. When the connection drops the DSL light also goes out and takes several minutes to stabilise before i can reconnect. How can problems like this occur out of the blue for no apparent reason. I have replaced the micro filter with a new one which has marginally improved my noise margin but by very little.
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Internet keeps Dropping

Hi there,
The drop in line rate is probably related to the intermittency.
Would fully recommend ensuring that you are connected to your master socket via a filter and better even, to try connecting to the test socket behind the master faceplate.
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi there,
The drop in line rate is probably related to the intermittency.
Would fully recommend ensuring that you are connected to your master socket via a filter and better even, to try connecting to the test socket behind the master faceplate.

Hi James,
I am connected directly inside the master BT socket with a BT filter, nothing has been done to the computer no wiring moved no downloads or new devices added or taken away.The weather has not had any baring at all it has been mostly dry, but a bit windy which we have not had for a while.But my stats are all over the place this morning they were Line down 5632/up 448 Noise down 4.0dB/ Up 13.0dB Line 54.0dB UP/ down 31.5dB and when i turned on to night it was Line rate down/4640 up/448 Noise margin 5.9dB down /up12.0dB Line 15.5dB down up/31.5dB
STRANGE IS IT NOT COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Chemicalman
…The weather has not had any baring at all it has been mostly dry, but a bit windy which we have not had for a while.  But my stats are all over the place this morning they were Line down 5632/up 448 Noise down 4.0dB/ Up 13.0dB Line 54.0dB UP/ down 31.5dB and when i turned on to night it was Line rate down/4640 up/448 Noise margin 5.9dB down /up12.0dB Line 15.5dB down up/31.5dB

My bold text:
I assume attenuations for this morning were actually in down/up order.  Then 54.0dB this morning reducing to 15.5dB tonight is most strange, implies you moved closer to the exchange during the day.  You mentioned it becoming windy, is your telephone cable overhead or underground?  The wind could be the problem if its overhead.
Since you've eliminated internal wiring I suggest you raise an intermittent connection fault.  Do you have a set of tests recorded by the BT speedtester at different times to support your case?
David
James
Grafter

Hi there,
You mention that you are using a BT Filter.  Have you tried changing it?
James
Grafter

Ah, missed that.
Definitely raise a fault via http://faults.plus.net
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi there,
You mention that you are using a BT Filter.  Have you tried changing it?

Thanks Guy's to one and all,
What nice people,
yes they were the stats in the morning, i did ask another question on the forum some of you may have seen about the fact that nothing else is connected on the line no telephone. People were asking if i had a filter fitted  which i had. but apparently i don't need one, because there is no other equipment connected to my line. Any way the good people at Plus net have done some tests and they inform me that i have PSTN problem.
I've been on to the Doctor, but he says its a BT problem, thank god. Any way BT have informed me its a problem outside and an engineer will have a go at sorting it on Monday. Fingers crossed.