PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Internet interruptions / Router Reboots. ? Problem

cheers both. I'll give it a go if it bombs out again
frank39
Grafter

Please post any conclusions as I have a similar problem and was just about to start a thread when this one appeared.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

will do although I remain suspicious of the ipod touch and the new laptop. when I am working at home all day and the kids are at school i don't seem to have as many problems - although I guess it could still be the router struggling with so many devices rather than any one specific device.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PhyllisTyne,
Did you manage to set up the other v7? How are you getting on?
Jojo Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I have been giving it some time and have been out all day. looking at the log though it seems to have rebooted at lunch time and I don't think the suspect devices will have been turned on. I will swap it out as soon as I get a chance
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your post Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

well I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a while and got a couple of disconnects after I posted but quite a few hours apart. It has now been up for over 3 days so am holding fire switching the router. Did you do anything at your end after I posted?
PT
frank39
Grafter

Hi Phyllis,
Glad that your router is more stable.  I have been playing with mine and I am tending to support those users (on other sites) who blame the restarts on overheating.  My router was running quite warm, so I engineered some distance (10mm) between it and the wall and then tweaked the set up of my attached storage to reduce the traffic through the router.  It is now significantly cooler, but the temperature does vary with the number of devices attached and the amount of traffic.  I notice that the v8 has improved ventilation, so Thomson may have decided that the design is a bit marginal.
I'm really looking for a justification to go and buy a netgear 3700 series, which is faster and has better management of the attached drives and the ftp access.  It looks at the moment as if I shall fail.
Frank
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I guess that's why mine may be better now I have constructed little legs to raise it up
jim:quote
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well, having been up for 5.5 days its just gone down. Just as my son tried to browse the internet on his new ipod touch. When I asked he said it was the first time he had done this for a few days. So it does seem as though it is one of the new devices in the house!
There are a few other threads identifying rebooting routers with ipods but no-one seems to have an answer. Is there anything you can suggest or is it a case of buying a different router?
TIA
PT
frank39
Grafter

Well I have an iPad, same OS as the iPod and its on all the time and its use doesn't seem to relate to any crashes.  Sticking to my hypothesis of traffic induced overheating, could it just be the increased throughput when the family come home?
PS
At Christmas, I had three iPad2, 2 iPhones and one iPod touch, in addition to all the other stuff running for a few days without a problem, so I don't think it's iOS dependent.  Could be wrong, of course.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The rebooting problem might be associated with a wireless N incompatibility. See this Community Support Library article
David
David
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

thanks, but I have the 585v7 which I don't think does N. I have turned off N on the laptops just in case but how can you disable it on an ipod touch?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PhyllisTyne.
How's it going? No, the v7 is not n capable. And even if you were using an n router it would default to b/g if a b/g device is connected to it.
Jojo Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jojo
its been up since I thought his touch took it down. I have deleted the touch off the router devices, reset the wireless on the touch and added let it connect to the router again. Not sure if its made a difference but will get him to play with his touch again after I am happy the connection is stable. I have confiscated it in the meantime so I can test properly and ensure other devices aren't the cause of the problem  Grin
PT