cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet fine - Network issues !

ainsley

Internet fine - Network issues !

I'm with Plusnet on fibre and I have the standard router. The internet connection is absolutely fine, fast and stable, but my home network is annoyingly unstable.
A WiFi printer, Sonos speakers, Windows Homegroup and even just sharing iTunes files between devices with Home Sharing are routinely dropped and usually its only re-booting the router that resolves the issue until the next time it happens, which is usually within several days. The devices are connected with a combination of wired and wireless so it's not an issue of wireless range.
Plusnet did replace the router once already but it's been no better. Is a better router likely to solve the problem (I'm think about something new around the £100-120 mark) or this just a fact of life with different devices all connected to the same network?
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Internet fine - Network issues !

Ainsley,
This is starting to look like a pervasive issue.  See here, here, here and here.
My experience is that from a fresh start all works perfectly.  All devices can access the internet and LAN shares are visible / accessible and pings across the LAN are fine.  Then after a period of time (5 or so days) shares are no longer accessible, across LAN pings return HOST UNREACHABLE yet each device still functions correctly when accessing the internet.
Points to check are IP configuration on each device when things are not working, the network details (and state) for each device / IP in the router GUI.  You could also look at the state of the ARP cache in each PC (In a CMD window run arp -a) - is there and IP / MAC pair for the device whose shares you cannot access?
@DCT - is there any assistance which can be obtained from TG on this matter please?  Is there any suggested diagnostics we can run for you when we encounter such situations?  Rebooting the router (especially on marginal phone lines) is not an ideal rectification of the issue.
Kind regards,
Kevin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ainsley

Thanks for your reply.
Looking at the links to other posts, it's almost exactly the same problem. Actual PCs connected to the router, where its by wireless, Ethernet or powerline are fine - they maintain their internet connections. The issues are all with inter-connectivity across my network devices. So 4 or 5 days after a router reset  my iPhone and iPad will stop "seeing" my Sonos system, even though the router pages report that they are still visible. My iPad or Apple TV will stop "seeing" my shared iTunes media or my computer and my wife's will stop"seeing" each other over the MS HomeGroup.
Naturally I'd prefer a solution via Plusnet or Thompson but I suppose what all this suggests is that a different router might solve the problem?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I've asked Matt Turner to take a look at this...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It's 5 days on and once again I cannot cross LAN ping devices (or connect to their shares) which are successfully connecting to the Internet via the PN supplied TG582n.
What diagnostics can I (and others) collect to enable PN to raise a fault report to their supplier please?
There seems to be two profiles to this problem...
1. Devices which otherwise connect to the Internet OK cannot cross LAN connect
2. I suspect subsequent to the above condition (my) Vista platform cannot (re)obtain a DHCP allocated IP address.  TG showed the device listed as inactive with a static IP from the HOME screen link.  On clicking CONFIGURE this changed to unknown.  After deleting the entry for that device, it might or might not then get an IP address.  If it does, though Internet connectivity might be achieved, inter-LAN connectivity is not.
Rebooting the router (alone) resolves all of the above issues.
NB: as a test, I forced a release and renew of IP on my Win7 platform - it took an age to get an IP address allocated.  This has all the hall marks of problems with the DHCP server.
Can you please provide help to help you?