cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out when mosquito plugins used in same room

Jo22

Internet drops out when mosquito plugins used in same room

Can anyone explain this problem? My mum uses her laptop in her bedroom. She is suffering from mosquito bites at night so I gave her some plugin units that have the blue mats in them. When she plugs these in at night in her room the internet connection drops out and can only be reconnected if she removes the plugin units. She has tried them in the hallway but it still happens.
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Internet drops out when mosquito plugins used in same room

@Jo22  Welcome to the forum.

I assume that the laptop is connected wirelessly?

Assuming soyour plug in devices will be emitting high frequency radio waves that are swamping the router transmission. If they are cheap units they may be exceeding statutory EMI limits.

Possible solutions are to use an Ethernet cable, split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on the router and see if one is better than the other, try different frequencies in the bands or get your mother a pack of fly squatters and scrap the plug in devices.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep welcome too @Jo22 

As @Baldrick1 said I would certainly try splitting the bands and see if it makes any difference. Let us know what router you're using (I assume a Hub One) and we can help.

Sounds like your mosquito plugins are interferring with wireless.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Is it the WiFi connection that is lost, or does the whole ADSL connection fail?

ADSL is sensitive to electrical interference (often referred to as REIN - repetitive electrical impulse noise), and it seems likely that the plugs are producing electrical noise. Some products (often the cheaper ones made in China) don't always follow the standards that minimise interference. The electrical signals that make up ADSL are very weak by the time they reach your house, so some local interference can easily swamp them out.

If your mum uses powerline adapters they too are very sensitive to interference on the mains line.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep, ideally (and I don't know how practial this is for yourself).

If you can try a wired connection then do it.

It will rule out wireless if you don't get the problem there, but if you still do then it could be the connection.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Jo22 Thanks for contacting us about your Wi-Fi, check out the help and support page here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team