Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out exactly every 25 mins, for about 30-60 seconds

FIXED
bigblueamazon
Grafter

Internet drops out exactly every 25 mins, for about 30-60 seconds

I've tried every 'fix' I can find on internet forums but have finally given up.

This has been happening for about a week. I have reset the router, done a full reset/clean install of my operating system, changed the network settings by using this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Disabling-Enabling-DHCP-on-Windows-8-10/td-p/1393553 and checked the 'lease time' (I have no idea what that is but I followed some instructions and found that I had about 2 days left on it) but nothing has worked so far. I've checked my devices and they all disconnect at the same time, so I know it's the internet connection and not a device issue. The router is relatively new, and my line has been tested recently, before my phone master socket was replaced and wiring replaced in another box where the wiring actually comes into the house (no idea what that box is called but it looks like a much older casing). 

Please could someone give me an idea of what I can do to fix this? Smiley I am really baffled by such a regular-as-clockwork issue!

25 REPLIES 25
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Internet drops out exactly every 25 mins, for about 30-60 seconds

Some routers have an idle time out - which router are you using.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bigblueamazon
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, @jelv  Smiley 

I'm using a Sagemcom 2704N. 

The connection is dropping when I am in the middle of many processes, not just when the computer is idle (which is rare anyway). Why would the router suddenly start doing this? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

It's certainly consistent as shown below bar Saturday which seemed to be better

image15172361321076

Can you think of anything you did differently on Saturday?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bigblueamazon
Grafter

Hi Matthew, and thanks for your response.

I didn't use the internet on my computer until the point at which your graph shows activity, although I did use it very briefly for my phone (which I think must be the little bursts on the graph). 

bigblueamazon
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler  Using Device Manager, I've made sure that all network adapter drivers are up to date, then restarted the computer but the internet is still dropping with reliable regularity. Do you know if this a known fault with the router I am using?

Thank you.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There is something seriously wrong with either your line or your router?

Have you done any basic fault finding?

Have you dialled 17070 option 2 and is your line quiet?

Have you plugged the router into the test socket on your master socket?

Have you tried a different router?

Have you tried different cables and filter?

Do you have a Chromecast or similar device?

Have you tried disconnecting everything and testing one at a time until you find if one is causing your problem?

bigblueamazon
Grafter

Hi @Mustrum - thanks for your suggestions!

I have just dialled 17070 and chose option 2 - not sure what I'm supposed to hear in response to choosing option 2 (?) but a recorded message repeats 'quiet line test' every 15-20 seconds. 

Have connected the line to the master socket (brand new in the last 2 weeks!) to see if anything changes, and will report back.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Broadband needs a good quality phone to give good results, so the quiet line tests helps you work out if you have a good quality line - i.e. you should not hear anything, no pops or crackles.

Carrying out the basic checks, that are available in the Help section, can help ensure you don't get charged if an engineer is called out and find the problem is due to something on your side.

bigblueamazon
Grafter

Ah then in that case, my phone line is extremely quiet. There was nothing on the test, not a shred of noise.

Thank you so much for letting me know there is a troubleshooting list somewhere in the Help section - I did check thoroughly before posting my query but obviously didn't use the correct search words. 

If I get disconnected again in 15 mins (which would be the next drop-out due), I'll try a different filter, then my old router. 

I don't have a Chromecast or other similar device, no. I did try an ethernet cable a couple of days ago and it made no difference, so I've eliminated that.

Thank you again Thumbs_Up

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Have a look here in Help it should take you through to a link to report a fault, which I believe you will need to do, but its worth doing the checks first - if nothing else to save a call out charge.

bigblueamazon
Grafter

Brilliant, thanks. I've tried everything you've suggested except a different router, and the fault is still there. I'll try the old router tomorrow. Cheers!

bigblueamazon
Grafter

Couldn't wait until tomorrow so tried my old Thomson router and not one drop-out so far Shocked Will keep it running tomorrow to make sure I'm not imagining things. 

I'm really surprised because the Sagemcom router that I was using is only a couple of years old, yet my spare Thomson is 8 years old (although I only used it for 6 of those)! But who cares! It seems to be doing the trick.

I wish I'd tried the router first and not last!

I can't thank you enough for your help - thanks! Cool 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@bigblueamazon, don't suppose you fancy sending the 2704n to the office for my attention? I'd like to take a look at it. Happy to apply some credit to your account to cover the postage.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bigblueamazon
Grafter

I've love to, @bobpullen but I'm not entirely sure that the problem has gone just yet. I've just started using my laptop in the last half hour and there's been a drop-out about 3 mins ago, so I'll be monitoring it and will get back to you later.