Did you mean: 

Internet dropping out when using cloud backup

FIXED
Arthur123
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Internet dropping out when using cloud backup

Hi

I use both OneDrive and Citrix Files to backup various documents. My broadband/wifi is normally pretty stable; however, when either of these programs start to upload files to the cloud, my connection drops out pretty much immediately. This usually impacts all devices connected to the WiFi, not just the device doing the uploading. Usually when this happens, the WiFi remains connected, but I get a "no internet" error. As soon as I turn off the cloud synching for these programs, the internet connection becomes stable again.

Please can someone help?

Thanks

Arthur

3 REPLIES 3
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Internet dropping out when using cloud backup

This is likely to be caused by the upload bandwidth being maxed out - downloads need some upload traffic in order to acknowledge packets.

If you can limit the bandwidth used by the backups to less than your upload bandwidth (most software allows you to do that), then you should be able to resolve the problem. Your backups will take longer, but you'll be able to use the internet for other things at the same time.

Arthur123
Hooked

Thanks for your comment, I have already tried that. Unfortunately even when I set the upload speed to 10kb/s, I still have issues with the internet dropping out. Conversely, when I upload files via a browser there are no issues whatsoever. 

Arthur123
Hooked

Fix

On further investigation, it seems that the lowest upload speed for onedrive is 50 kb/s - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/change-the-onedrive-sync-app-upload-or-download-rate-71cc... - so it was just ignoring the limit that I put in!

All OK now.