cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping on one device only (not ADSL and not WiFi)

mbeard
Dabbler

Re: Internet dropping on one device only (not ADSL and not WiFi)

Might be of interest that I was downloading a file yesterday evening on my laptop. Internet getting dropped almost immediately. Disconnect and reconnect the WiFi connection, works for a few seconds, then internet gone. Try tethering to my phone, same behaviour on my laptop but phone is fine. Stop the download and browse and stream for a while without problems. Then try the download before going to bed. Seems to work fine for 5 minutes but then back into the immediate drops.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The experience I’ve seen with the hub zeros is that WiFi appears to be essentially OK, devices can connect, get an IP address assigned ... however WiFi connected devices cannot connect to the internet.

It’s essential to understand that logically the router is a collection of networks - WAN - Ethernet - WiFi ... and a bridge between them.

I’ve seen a mix of WiFi and Ethernet devices connected to a hub zero where Ethernet devices have full functionality and can connect to the internet. WiFi devices can connect to the router but cannot access the internet. WiFi devices can ping other WiFi devices, but not Ethernet devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mbeard
Dabbler

DSLReport confirms that it's buffer bloat on my laptop.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/57470807

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Buffer bloat might give rise to time sensitive performance issues - it will not cause what you’ve described - total non functionality of WiFi connections.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mbeard
Dabbler

Yes and no. How long does windows wait for a response before deciding that the internet is not available?

It's total non functionality of internet over a WiFi connection.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@mbeard Simple check to see where the issue is: When your laptop reports no wifi connection, has the phone also lost it?

If the answer is no, then something in/on the laptop is failing and needs sorting. If the answer is yes, then the problem is most likely the router, in which case, get another one.

John
mbeard
Dabbler

The phone does not lose internet at the same time as the laptop, even when the laptop is tethered to it. Bufferbloat tests come back as positive on the phone though.

Is it possible that the phone is more tolerant of bufferbloat than the laptop?

So, is there a work around to make the laptop more tolerant? I have found this webpage that seems to have something but I don't yet understand it! https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Windows_Tips/#windows-tips
jab1
Legend

I still think it is something on your laptop that is causing the issue. From your last comment, I'm more than ever convinced.

Humour me here, but is there any chance of connecting the laptop via ethernet, ensuring you turn its Wi-Fi off, and then running the programs/sites that appear to cause this problem?

I think bufferbloat is a red-herring here - but I could be wrong.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jab1 

Good idea. I'm wondering if there's router buffer bloat AND someting else going on. Back in post 13 I suggested that the result of rebooting the computer when this problem was present. I don't know if @mbeard tried this but it is interesting that dropping the wireless then reconnecting provides a temporary cure. This could be interpreted as some sort of computer internal buffer issue.

@mbeard  Have you updated your BIOS and drivers? Every now and again I use the free version ou IO Booster to update my drivers. If you remove it after use you don't get nagged to update to the paid for version. Obviously you update drivers and BIOS at your own risk.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 I think you are probably right - more than one issue. As the OP doesn't always fully respond to others posts, it is difficult to try and isolate the problem.

John
mbeard
Dabbler

Apologies for not actioning every test in the order requested.  I really do appreciate the time everyone has spent on this and I think that we have made genuine progress. 

Been able to spend a decent block of time on this now at my laptop, recent messages have tended to be repeating information or researching, so here is a summary and test results. 

The problem: internet access lost on laptop triggered by file download while retaining connection to router via WiFi, cable, or tethered with smart phone.  Smart phone does not have these issues at the same time or on its own.  Speed tests on both devices report serious bufferbloat.  Router = Plusnet Hub Zero AKA Sagemcom 2704N

1. Reconnecting WiFi on the laptop used to resolve the problem but that ceased to work a few days ago.

2. Rebooting the router does not fix the problem.

3. Logging out and back in again on the laptop does not fix the problem

4. Restarting the laptop does fix the problem.

5. Leaving the laptop in the error state with no particular upload or download for 20 minutes does not fix the problem.

6. The problem still occurs when connecting the laptop to the router by ethernet cable.

7. Problem still occurs when accessing the router via USB tether with mobile phone.  Meanwhile the phone works as normal.

8. Problem does not occur when accessing the internet via WiFi tether to mobile phone connected to 4G network.

9. Speed tests on broadband report good overall connection speed on upload and download but ping often peaks between 1 and 3 seconds.

10. Problem still occurs when WiFi connected to router and altering available bandwidth setting on Killer WiFI Control Centre.

11. Killer WiFi Control Centre does not report any dropped packets but documentation is poor so I'm not sure I trust it because I cannot dig into how it would pick up dropped packets when presumably there should be lots due to bufferbloat?

12. WiFi device driver updated a few weeks ago as part of Killer Wifi Control Centre installation.  Not sure about BIOS, kind of thing that I would do but recommendations were mixed and somewhat cynical in the manufacturer's forum.  I don't have a distinct memory of doing it (had the laptop for a couple of months now and I was updating and setting up a few things when it arrived). Forum said don't risk it unless fixing something specific.  This could be such a situation so I will look into it.

13. Laptop manufacturer's forum does not appear to have any history of similar issues but no response so far to the bufferbloat suggestion.

My thinking so far is as follows:  The Plusnet router has a poor reputation and/or my one is faulty, resulting in a bufferbloat situation.  However, the phone can still access the internet albeit with very high pings.  So for some reason the laptop and the router are not handling the flow of traffic well enough between themselves and one or both buffers are overflowing.  Rebooting evidence suggests it's the laptop buffers (and possibly the phone not being impacted is more evidence, does each connected device get its own fenced off bit of buffer in the router?)  With a well performing router the laptop does not lose internet e.g. tethered to the phone on 4G (I forgot to run speed test so will get that done soon.) This implies that the laptop or its software is not faulty as such, but might have a weakness when interfacing with a poor router.  Perhaps somewhere on the router or laptop there is a setting that can mitigate these issues.  Not too keen on buying a new router when Plusnet have provided one with such a poor reputation - guilty until proven innocent?  Or I need more evidence before returning the laptop (in which case a new router would be a waste of money, would performance increase that much in a two device household on basic broadband?)

jab1
Legend

Mike, thanks for that detailed information. I've had a quick scan, but a busy day has left my brain a bit tired to analyse it all.

The 2704N does have a dodgy reputation - I won't have one, for that reason. A BT HH6 can be obtained quite cheaply from a certain well-known auction site, and a spare is always useful, so if I were you, I would be tempted to obtain one - set-up/installation  instructions are on the forum.

I'll have a more detailed look tomorrow, but maybe Baldrick1 or Townman will jump in before I get chance.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I would examine low level commands to restart the tcpip stack in the PC. The persistence of the problem until the PC is restarted points to a comma stack issue.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@mbeard 

Your comprehensive test report is very helpful.

It seems to be pointing to a laptop problem triggered by router buffer bloat. If this diagnosis is correct then this gives us two obvious options:

1. Reduce the buffer bloat. As @jab1 says, Smarthub 6s can be picked up very cheaply from the likes of Ebay and might be worth trying. It's a far superior router to the Hub Zero anyway. Another option, if it's available, is ro improve your speed by upgrading to fibre.

2. Tackle the Laptop issue. I would be suspicious of the Killer wifi module. This seems to be totally incompatible performance wise with a steam age buffer bloated router connected to ADSL. I know that this problem also occurs when connected via Ethernet but presumably it's still running in the background. Did your laptop come fitted with this module or have you installed it as an upgrade?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@mbeard 

Another possibly pointless question, but what is your laptop make/model, and which OS are you running?

@Baldrick1 , @Townman - thanks for your replies above, saved me a bit of time.

John