Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet down - Concentrator not reachable

RossStrachan
Grafter

Internet down - Concentrator not reachable

All,
New user here - be gentle  Wink - having moved from Virgin Media where I never had any faults this is a new experience  Cry
I've logged this with support and got the standard 24hr response reply - any chance anyone can indicate how long it's likely to really take? I work from home mostly (health reasons) so this is a real problem for me.
Internet is broken, "Connect" in router admin results in "Concentrator not reachable", direct connect to the modem makes no difference.
Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: Internet down - Concentrator not reachable

Hi Ross,
This may be a stupid question. Have you tried powering down the modem and the router for 10-20 minutes and then trying again?
RossStrachan
Grafter

Not a stupid question at all.!
I powered both the modem and router of for a few minutes - powered the modem on, let it boot (DSL light is on) then powered on the router (Power and LAN lights on no Broadband or Internet lights)
Not sure why powering off for longer would make a difference but I can if you like - the fault finder did say to leave the gear switch on and connected while you guys test so I didn't want to power down.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If there is a stale session it needs the longer power down to time-out.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RossStrachan
Grafter

Thanks I'll give it a bash now.
EDIT: Tried it, left both the router and modem off for ~30mins - unfortunately, no change, same error message when I click "Connect" in router admin.
RossStrachan
Grafter

Noted earlier on the Service Status page
"there are a number of smaller exchange works most nights of the week that may cause smaller outages at individual exchanges"
I wonder if someone could check if my exchange is one of these .... I wouldn't call >8hrs and counting a small outage.
James
Grafter

This isn't something to do with your connection.
The work referenced on that is something that happens in the early hours of the morning and certainly not during the day.
RossStrachan
Grafter

Hi James,
what I wondered was whether my local exchange had been having work done and if they had maybe broken something overnight (I've had no connection all day) and accidentally not fixed it.
Either way it sounds like I'm going to have to wait some more which isn't ideal.
It's not a great introduction to Openreach fibre a day outage (so far) 4 weeks into the contract given my previous house never had a single outage (that had any impact) on Virgin Media's fibre network in 10 years 😞
James
Grafter

I know - I'm really sorry it hasn't been a great start Sad
You can check on your exchange using this page: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
I'm sure that one of the Digital Care guys will be along shortly to help things along on its way.
RossStrachan
Grafter

The exchange check doesn't indicate anything "major" ... oh well - thanks anyway - wait for next steps I guess.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've raised this with our suppliers, we'll update you when we hear back from them.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know how you get on tomorrow or if your connection does start working again tonight.
RossStrachan
Grafter

Chris, thanks for the call. I'll update as discussed - still not connecting at this point.
RossStrachan
Grafter

Chris, following our discussion I decided to run through the test steps again. This time the direct connection to the router worked! I then rebooted the router, logged in to admin and clicked Connect and it connected.
Can we cancel the engineer visit please and I will monitor the stability of the connection over the next few days and report back.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll get that cancelled first thing in the morning. It may be that the engineer does arrive even after being cancelled but that may not be able to be helped.
I guess you did the same steps as earlier but this time it worked?