cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnects when phone rings...again

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Internet disconnects when phone rings...again

Around new years day, what would happen is the internet would disconnect when I made an outgoing or an incoming call came in. The DSL and Internet light would just die and the router would tell me that the connection has died and its trying to reconnect.
So, near 4 months later, its back! 😧 Difference now is that im using a different setup.
Now, I have a DG834G as a modem, and a WNDR4000 being the router. Just got a call now, was playing MW3 (yes, i know its early) and the internet died on meh!
I know when the original fault happend, I had the upload uncapped. I told PN, they capped upload and then turned on interleaving. This fixed it.
I requested that Interleaving is off'ed about 3 weeks after, and it was and there were no disconnects... So i thought it was the upload that caused it.
BUT NOW, its back! Test socket testing gives the same fault.
Anyone had this before, and is it worth raising a fault again? Or do I live with it?
Thanks, Aman.
(Screenshots attached - If anyone suggests any methods, I shall try them as soon as I get back from school, like 3:30ish and post back in rocketspeed time.)
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet disconnects when phone rings...again

IMHO I doubt interleaving or changing the upstream would fix this particular issue.
When disconnections occur when the phone is in use it's generally down to an issue either with your filters or at the exchange where the line splits between the phone and broadband network.
BUT NOW, its back! Test socket testing gives the same fault.

Have you tried swapping the filters when you did this?
Anyone had this before, and is it worth raising a fault again? Or do I live with it?

If you've been unable to eliminate the most likely causes at your side (such as the filters) then yes, do raise a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
niko
Grafter

ive got the same problem ,so your not alone
and the frustrating thing is when open reach have been working on the line on other faults the test signal they send down the line seems to temporarily fix it ,so it hides the problem for a while
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

@Adam; Honestly, it fixed it last time! I dont know how but it did.
Ive literally changed all the setup within the house. Ive tried from test socket, making sure its the direct link. Bought new microfilters, didnt make a difference.
The odd thing is that it happens only sometimes, not all the time. Im guessing it has to be something at the exchange, as ive tried literally everything.
When it happens sometimes, im guessing (knowing my luck) it wont happen if an engineer looks at the line!; Can someone at PN post the connection log graph thingybob? Just want to see when the disconnect happend and if it showed up on the PN systems.

@niko: Its annoying! Ah, did you get openreach out for this fault or another on the line?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I once had this problem, like Amanha's it was intermittent. Tried everything to no avail, but didn't report it as it was so intermittent.
Then CRC  errors went through the roof, so I couldn't ignore it any longer. Long story short - it was the master socket. Must have been gradually breaking down, as changing it cured both problems.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
niko
Grafter

@Amanha
ive had them out on this and other problems
as adam says i could be a filter problem
but the other thing that can cause it is a hr fault ,and as i mentioned one problem is that when open reach come to look one of the things they tend to do is send a test pulse down the line so they can listen for it at various points on the copper line to locate a fault ,unfortunately it seems this can (not always) have the effect to temporarily hide/fix the fault
my guess on this would be the pulse temporarily bridges a hr point on the line,
this might not be the problem in your case but its a posiblity
adsl2 is more susceptible to noise than adsl1 so if there is a fault there its more likely to show its self,
iam wandering if the uncapped upload is similer as it uses more of the avalible space(higher bit loading)
you could be right in the problem gets hidden with the upload capped ,
id  get open reach out if i was you
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ah, just tried raising a fault, got some error message saying to try again later.
I cant see my CRC errors or anything like that! Using a DG834G on modem only aint exactly good \: - it might be an issue there. 
Master socket looks alright, but it was fitted in the late 80's (when techncially I wasnt even born  Grin ), so that could be an issue.
Only thing is I dont really wanna pay like £130 for the callout for Openreach if they deem it a fault on my side, is there any way i can defo defo make sure its not my setup? I would try with a different router and microfilters but cant really get my hands on one. If only I still had my PN 585 router, that would of been ideal to check!
Il try raising a fault again in abit, if not, Il call up PN as soon as im halfway done with coursework.
Cheers.
niko
Grafter

speaking to plus net is your best bet
id buy i different micro filter if i was you its good to have a spare anyway ,
the other thing you can try is unplugging your home phone and dialing your home number from a mobile ,if it still drops the adsl that at least eliminates the phone as a fault and points strongly to the fault being on bts network
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Amanha,
You said that you have a test socket, but then said it's an old socket. When you said the test socket, did you mean the socket located behind the faceplate? Are you still in the master/test socket at the moment?
Jojo Smiley