cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dead after sync error (Auth error)

cehaem
Hooked

Internet dead after sync error (Auth error)

Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether someone experience anything similar to this? Last Friday our connection died. Tech support found out that my line wasn't syncing at the exchange, an Engineer came out the following Monday and was supposed to fix it. According to the ticket it was fixed, but, obviously, it is not. All I am getting is the BTWholesale test page giving a few reasons why I am seeing it. When setting up a new connection, the router fetches protocols and setting but after entering my credentials it returns an Auth Error. I already changed my pwd for Plusnet, performed 3 hard resets. TAM tests return Auth Error when trying to connect to the Plusnet Radius, when doing the same with the BT Radius the wheel keeps on spinning....WAN light is solid white most of the time (it's a Netgear Nighthawk), sometimes turning to orange.

Tech Support was not really helpful. The first person I spoke with was not really knowledgeable (did not know what a VLAN ID is), when asking me to check if everything is connected the way it should be she asked me to describe what the master socket looked like (sorry guys, your Advisors should adapt to the level of knowledge of the person calling). The second person I spoke with later offered to send out an Engineer to my place  and this is supposed to happen next week but I am quite sceptic. I mean, this is  hardly a technical failure on my end of the connection. I will be getting another (cheaper) modem/router early next week to conduct some testing to rule out that a faulty device is the root cause of the problem, but I hardly doubt that there's been such a coincidence that something wrong went at the exchange and at the same time my modem broke.

Just wondering, has anyone had a similar issue in the past and how did PN go about resolving it?

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet dead after sync error (Auth error)

Hi there, 

i'm sorry if you've not had a great experience chasing this up with support. 

I've just been having a look into this and unfortunately there does seem to be more than one issue at play here. 

Tests are showing an issue with a copper joint in the line so we do need to address that as well as any authentication issues that are apparent. 

I'd hold fire on purchasing any new hardware and see what the outcome is after the next engineer visit. 

I'd be happy to take ownership if needed and make sure both issues are resolved ASAP. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cehaem
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Yes, it would be great of someone kept an eye on it since the root cause of the problem was obviously miscommunicated. This would have saved me at least 2h of time spent on the phone with support.

Anyway, looking forward  to the Engineer's visit next week. Let's see what he has to say.

Thanks,

Christian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya Christian,

Adam's left for the day so I've moved your ticket 182423509 into his workflow to follow up.

Fingers crossed the engineer next week identifies and fixes the problem for you.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cehaem
Hooked

Hi Team,

The Engineer has just left. AccordIng to his tests the line is perfectly fine. But when he ran a Speedtest he got 55 mbps which is way faster than my package.

Thanks,

Christian
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Christian.

That's odd, as your connection has returned after the engineer visit.

Not sure where they're getting a speed of 55mbps from as your circuit is in sync at 40mbps. It's possible that they're seeing what the port at the cabinet can achieve.

Let us know if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cehaem
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

He plugged in his mobile modem and got that reading. He rang me an hour ago to say that we were connected to the wrong port in the cabinet - obviously something the previous Engineer must had done when carrying out the repairs 2 weeks ago. I am not sure what to think of it as according to your tests there was an issue with a copper joint.

I guess  I will have to wait until I am back from work and can see for myself.

Thanks,

Christian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah cool, cheers for the update.

From what I can see it should all be ready and waiting for you when you get home.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet