cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cutting off randomly

Robllew

Internet cutting off randomly

Hi,

Just Wondering if anyone has had this problem?

Using the Internet over the last few months and it keeps cutting off and if using phone/computer I get the screen with technicolor gateway and to log in to account, won't let me use the Internet for about 2 minutes then it's fine. I can cope (just about) with this but on the Xbox live I get cut out of games etc and it's starting to get annoying. Does anyone have any solutions to the issue? Or is it just because we r paying cheap and getting cheap? Have never had the issue with Virgin/BT.

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Internet cutting off randomly

It would help if you can give details of your connection... i.e. fibre or adsl... router make and model, location of router, how the computer ( laptop/desktop/towersystem) is connected to the router.

Robllew

Thanks, it's adsl, the Xbox is connect via Ethernet cable but once it cuts off, on the Xbox I just get cut but on iPhone or pc I get directed to this screen (will try uploads screenshot). 2 minutes later it comes back, the last 2 days have been unbelievable, a 20 minute tv show took my 45 minutes to watch.
Robllew

Also router is tg582n
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

how many devices do you have connected when it falls over ?

when I had the tg582n it chucked a fall over every time it came up because of the number of things connected got a different router and no more problems with it falling over.

(ok so I had 6 wired and 9 wireless devices in the lounge, never mind the rest of the wired stuff in the house)

the only disconnects I've had since have been maintenance related or me restarting my router a few times a month, although ive been on fibre for a few years.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Robllew,

The TG282n ought to be capable of managing the connections.  I've got a lot of devices connected to mine without issue.  It is also quite good on the ADSL side in managing difficult lines.  What version of firmware does it have?

Can you correlate these disconnections with the use of the telephone?  Doing some basic checks will help point to where the issue might be...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.