cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly dropping out

laz3484

Internet constantly dropping out

Ive been having an ongoing issue with my internet for some time and it seems to have got worse recently. It keeps dropping the connection (as in up and down speeds both go to 0kbps and it has to reconnect). the worse times for it happening are the evenings, at times i can go months without a problem then suddenly it all starts again, i have replaced my router and microfilter, left the phone unplugged and tried it in the master socket. Plusnet have said that there is no issue at their end and BT are claiming that the line is fine.
in the past hour i have had the following speeds come up, it stays on for anywhere between 0-10 minutes then drops again.
Down: 2304 kbps
Up: 160 kbps
Down: 1984 kbps
Up: 64 kbps
Down: 2272 kbps
Up: 224 kbps
Down: 2272 kbps
Up: 192 kbps
Down: 1856 kbps
Up: 64 kbps
I havent rebooted the router between these different speeds, its just what it is picking up after each disconnect.
Any ideas? it's driving me crazy!
Thanks
Paul
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Internet constantly dropping out

Hi Paul,
Synch speed will be the 'best that an be achieved' at the time you re synch.  Therefore you should avoid doing this during night time hours as generic night time interference (noise) is going to give you a lower synch rate.  However, just looking at the Up speed suggests something is very wrong.
A full set of router stats will allow others to determine if these speeds are appropriate for your line.
Beyond that,  you'll need to gather some historic data to give to PN.
Ask PN for a radius connection report.  This will indicate the frequency of PPP session loss; if it s frequent then clearly there is a problem to be investigated.  It is unusual for PPP to survive a synch loss, but I have seen it happen. 
Also get and install RouterStats to monitor your router stats CONSTANTLY.  This will build up a history of your connection state which you can use to profile the problem.  This is essential for identifying obscure problems.  I have been monitoring my line since Dec 2012; at times it has identified dozens of disconnections per day... Whilst at present I can use the output to monitor assign electric trains on the West Coast line!
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: laz3484
and tried it in the master socket.

Was that just in the master socket or in the test socket inside the master socket?
If your master doesn't have a removable lower half you need to try in the master socket with absolutely everything unplugged from all other telephone sockets.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

is the line silent when you try the quiet line test 17070 option 2
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi laz3484,
We're currently testing your line and we'll update you with the results when we have them.
laz3484

Quote from: Oldjim
is the line silent when you try the quiet line test 17070 option 2

yes, silent.
When i say master socket i do mean the test one underneath, i only have the 1 extension in the house.
I've got a ticket open for it now, i had BT out this morning and they claim the line is fine. The chaps at plusnet can see that it dropped 20+ times yesterday evening so something is being done Smiley