cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connectivity freezing briefly, but regularly

kpkuk

Internet connectivity freezing briefly, but regularly

Hi - for about 4 days now, my Plusnet internet connection is freezing. It lasts just a few seconds (normally between 5 and 15), but long enough for websites and suchlike to time out occasionally. And the freezing happens perhaps 50-100 times per day, so it's pretty annoying. I've rebooted the modem, PCs, etc., but no help. Nothing (not even a phone) is connected to the Plusnet line and nothing at all has changed in my configuration.

If I run a speedtest or suchlike, it tends to complete fine because when it's working, it's working! I did think it might be DNS, but I've tried different DNS servers and that doesn't help either.

Plusnet say the line checks out fine, but that's probably because it DOES check out fine when it's working. It would need a longer analysis.

I know there are some older reports of this kind of issue, but nothing more recent. Anyone else seeing this? I'm in SL8 5 postcode area, by the way.

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Internet connectivity freezing briefly, but regularly

@kpkuk  Welcome to the forum.

Are you really on ADSL or Fibre?

Which Plusnet hub do you have?

Is the drop out being noticed on wireless, does it also drop out on an computer connected to the hub over an Ethernet cable?

Are the lights changing on the hub when it drops out? If so, what are they doing?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kpkuk

Re: Internet connectivity freezing briefly, but regularly

I think we can close this issue! I've found a hack into an IOT device I have that was periodically pulling masses of data on the uplink. I did some traffic analysis and some netstat work and spotted this. So - hopefully this has resolved it and it's not a Plusnet issue at all.

Apologies for the time waste...