cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connections this week

susan67

Internet connections this week

Can you please stop lying to me.
Lie no 1: when I placed my order for installation I asked for extension cable to run the router up to my study - when you eventually connected me  (having disconnected my previous service and left me without broadband for over a week) the engineer said I would have an inferior service with a cable in the house. The plus net man now tells me the contrary - who's lying to me? Some one in plusnet is!
Lie no 2: when I called on Tuesday to complain about the internet connection dropping in and out I was told that I could change channel but needed a cable to hard wire into the router. I didn't have a cable to hand. Latter we found that this wouldn't have worked as there was a problem reported on the forum. So yet another lie/fob off.
Lie no 3: today the service is so slow it's unbelievable. I called Plusnet and again they say it's a problem with the wi-fi and they suggest I change channel. My husband tells me that this is another fob off.
I was with Talk Talk and paid half what I am with Plusnet to get the same rubbish service. I left them as I was fed up with the service is Plusnet any better I don't think so. Just the same smoke and mirrors. I pay for a priority service but I'm clearly not getting it. Is some one going to give me what I've paid for?
I'm really fed up with calling technical support just to be kept waiting 15 or 20 mins for someone to answer.
4 REPLIES 4
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Internet connections this week

Having joined PN in November I get the distinct impression from these forums that tele support leaves a whole lot to be desired. However, support from this forum is first class.
Just give it time and someone here will take ownership of your problem and stick with it until it is solved to your satisfaction!
Geoff,
York.
apjashley1
Grafter

Susan, have you changed the wireless channel?
You CAN do this over wireless but the connection will drop once the change is made so you'd need to re-connect to the new signal.
shure
Grafter

I'm no expert but I'm surprised the engineer told you an extension cable would impact the quality of your service.  I was told that with good quality cable - which the engineer should use anyway - this should not be an issue.  Also, I was under the impression that the engineer who comes round is from BT, not Plusnet.  Can anyone confirm?
If you're worried about changing channel then you could try downloading InSSIDer for free first.  It's a program which will scan the networks in your area and tell you whether you are overlapping with another signal.  Apjashley1 is right in saying you will drop connection if you change but it will only be temporary.  In any event, it's always a good idea to have an ethernet cable lying around as this would allow you to check whether your issues are internet or wireless related, and a wired connection will always give you a more reliable result for any online tests you might perform.  They're not expensive and easy to get hold of.
What router are you using, and which package are you on (fibre, 20CN/21CN ADSL)?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes shure you are correct.
@susan67
Firstly, whoever you are with, whether it's TalkTalk, Plusnet or any other non-cable ISP,  ALL work - installation of connections from the exchange to your house and maintenance is done by BT Openreach.
Next, I'm guessing from the way you have phrased what you've said that you've had FTTC (Fibre) installed. I assume that when you were with TalkTalk you had ADSL2+, but as has already been asked if you could please confirm all that so we can get a clear picture.
The BT Openreach engineer lied to you, not Plusnet.  Whether you are on Fibre or ADSL, use of the correct standard of cable will give you no problems, however the installation is slightly different, so you need to say which you've got. Also tell us what the engineer actually installed.
Wireless does come with it's own problems and connecting to the router with an ethernet cable is the best way to configure any wireless connection, so I'm not sure what you read on the forum, but it was either wrong or you may have misinterpreted it.
Unless you have a good strong signal on the wireless channel being used and it is free from interference from other networks, you will get inferior performance and may lose your wireless connection periodically. So I'm afraid your husband is wrong, that wasn't a fob off.
Were you using wireless when with TalkTalk? Even if you were, you may have been on a different channel.
You should have an ethernet cable that came with the router. Please confirm if you have or not, and the type of installation you have and then we can suggest some checks to run.