cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection unusable

danikov

Internet connection unusable

Recently had a home migration from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Was some initial hiccups to begin with (PADO packet timeouts, apparently a thing with the ASUS RT-N66U + TP-LINK 8817, albeit not permanently), but finally got it authenticating well enough.
First day wasn't so great though- would only get internet for 2-3 minutes, then 10-15 minutes of nothing- the line was still synched but couldn't ping the gateway. Towards the end of the day, this eased off so I chalked it up to initial training.
However, since then it's returned- if I do anything heavy for > minute, it's as if some gremlin wants to punish me for using the connection and I lose all connectivity- can't even load websites as the connection times out. Even if I discontinue the download or torrent or whatever I used to tax the connection, this pattern seems to persist for quite a while. Here's a 10 minute chunk of my routers traffic monitor to show what I mean:

I also set up a ping graph to see if it's a connectivity thing:

What's really weird is DNS requests do resolve- I can ping websites I know won't be cached and they'll resolve, but all the requests will timeout. It''s like my internet is there and working, it's just throttled down to an unusable 0.5kps somehow. I don't know what would do this, it's a very odd pattern for a hardware fault.
1 REPLY 1
danikov

Re: Internet connection unusable

Oh, well, found the problem. The router firewall felt uTorrent's activity constituted an attack and was a bit aggressive defending itself. Problem solved- got a firewall on the machine instead.